Talk

Advanced search

Advice sought re airport lounges

(32 Posts)
hesterton Sun 19-Feb-17 08:48:05

I wondered if any experienced traveller could advise me?

I have a very long return journey later this year - travelling for days it seems! - which included long stopovers at LA international airport (11 hrs).

I am flying economy (sadly!) but would really like to use showers - a comfy place ro sleep would be amazing - and be well rested during the stopover. Can you book to use lounges as a one off? I can find a package for a year type thing but really just want a one off booking.

Thanks in advance.

dontcallmethatyoucunt Sun 19-Feb-17 09:00:37

We've just booked the lounge at T5 before we head off on hols. I believe it's part of a chain in various airports that are available to book. It's cost 29.99 as a one off, no need to 'join'

thenightsky Sun 19-Feb-17 09:02:49

Look on holiday extras website. I've booked through them a few times.

celtiethree Sun 19-Feb-17 09:07:56

I know you can in some uk airports not sure about us. Do you have a bank account with benefits attached? I have a current account that provides 'priority pass' membership which works worldwide.

Eatingcheeseontoast Sun 19-Feb-17 09:10:53

Yes,aspire is a common one you can book as a one off. It's worth it. If they don't have room you might have to wait to get in.

Eatingcheeseontoast Sun 19-Feb-17 09:11:54

My fiend gets access because she got an AmEx platinum card. There's an annual fee but also gives her travel insurance. She travels a lot though.

hesterton Sun 19-Feb-17 09:13:13

I do have a premier bank account - will check. My itinerary says 'B' for the terminal at LA but researching online suggests terminals there are numbered (so many!) I am not even sure if you can move from terminal to terminal during a stopover.

Perhaps I can find out then and there - but would be good to book in advance. I'll look for holiday extras email! Thank you.

LemonThyme82 Sun 19-Feb-17 09:15:09

Hi, you could try looking up the airport at http://www.sleepinginairports.net/

hesterton Sun 19-Feb-17 09:19:28

Literally just left that site to come back here! Looks like I can book there and then if there's room. That might be best.

witwootoodleoo Sun 19-Feb-17 09:21:17

Airport hotels often do a day rate so you can have a shower and a nap in a proper bed

hesterton Sun 19-Feb-17 09:24:43

Are you allowed to leave the airport during a transfer though?

hesterton Sun 19-Feb-17 09:25:08

That would be ideal if so.

HappenstanceMarmite Sun 19-Feb-17 09:27:42

Not all airports have lounges. After missing a flight I had a 12 hour wait at Gatwick North Terminal. I asked about the lounge but was told there was one at SOUTH Terminal only.

waitingforgodot Sun 19-Feb-17 09:28:19

Airport hotel! Some charge by the hour which sounds dodgy! They are geared up for people on long transfers. All the airport hotels I've stayed in have amazing black out blinds and are so quiet so a good sleep is possible

Waitingforgodot Sun 19-Feb-17 09:29:09

Where you off to?

AttilaTheMeerkat Sun 19-Feb-17 09:35:03

Which airline/s are you using and what is your routing?. You should be able to use a "Priority Pass" lounge if you become a member of that scheme. US based airlines like American and Delta tend to sell day passes for their lounges.

I think the B terminal you are referring to is the International Terminal known as TBIT. I would double check with Holiday Extras though.

hesterton Sun 19-Feb-17 09:46:54

I'm off to NZ. And not a frequent flyer at all. I will check with holiday extras. Air line is American Airlines.

hesterton Sun 19-Feb-17 09:47:33

Not sure what routing means, sorry!

waitingforgodot Sun 19-Feb-17 10:04:47

If you look on the airport website, it should list hotel options within the terminal. Have a great trip smile

EyeStye Sun 19-Feb-17 10:06:26

Do you have a Barclays account? I got their travel plus premium package to get lounge access and travel insurance. It was worth it for long haul flight and you can cancel after a few months

hesterton Sun 19-Feb-17 10:23:12

Thank you waiting!

Not Barclays, no but will enquire of my bank.

AttilaTheMeerkat Sun 19-Feb-17 10:40:06

You may be able to use the AA lounge at LAX if you pay for a one day pass. Their Admirals Club lounge at terminal 4 has showers and food for purchase. However, entry is also dependent on lounge capacity.

Its also worth checking with your bank.

hesterton Sun 19-Feb-17 10:48:46

10 or 11 hours (from morning until nearly midnight ) - reading forums about LAX suggests that maybe booking a day room at a local hotel would be a good investment! Lounges appear to be subject to availability. Does anyone know if you can do that without retrieving your luggage? - same air line all the way through. There look to be some lounges v near the terminal.

I do appreciate everyone's input.

hesterton Sun 19-Feb-17 10:49:05

Sorry, hotels near terminal.

DYKWIA Sun 19-Feb-17 10:52:48

This could be the sort of thing you need.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now