Talk

Advanced search

Vancouver with 5&7 yr olds

(12 Posts)
KanyesVest Wed 15-Feb-17 18:54:00

We had talked about going in August but Dh now thinks they are too young and wants to wait a year or two. I disagree. Ds (5) remembers amazing amounts from previous 2 holidays, often things I'd forgotten, so I don't think it will be wasted on him. We have a family member over there who may or may not be there in a year or two (probably will, but not guaranteed). I know he's thinking about the flights, but I don't think a year is going to make that Mich difference.

Any experiences to prove me either of us right?

KanyesVest Wed 15-Feb-17 18:55:33

By flights, I mean entertaining two small kids in a tin box for 12 hours. And dh not wanting to hmm

gastropod Wed 15-Feb-17 19:03:50

Just booked flights to Vancouver for this summer with our 6 and 8 years olds. So I think it's a great idea obviously!

KanyesVest Wed 15-Feb-17 19:35:32

grin

dontcallmethatyoucunt Wed 15-Feb-17 20:16:19

We flew to Vancouver at Xmas with DD 5 and 8. They watched films, coloured, walked about a bit and watched more films. It was simple. They are used to travel, but that was the longest we've done. It really wasn't an issue.

In terms of 'wasted', I don't think it matters if they remember everything, they take on the experience either way. Travel is great for kids.

Ladydepp Wed 15-Feb-17 22:32:26

We go every year as we have family there. We've been flying since youngest was 2 and eldest 7. Really not a problem, fly BA or Air Canada and take some snacks and colouring and you'll be fine. The flight back is normally overnight and they'll sleep for most of it. My kids love flying, it gives them unlimited screen time! And it's not 12 hours, more like 9.

Vancouver is a great city with kids...

dontcallmethatyoucunt Thu 16-Feb-17 07:16:39

Air Transact was good for us. Seat back entertainment. Sloooow service, but we'd bought snacks and with kids we weren't going to be boozing particularly.

bojorojo Thu 16-Feb-17 23:59:26

Go because you want to! You matter too. We took our children on long haul holidays at that age. I guess they don't remember everything but they had a good time. Enjoy yourselves. You will remember it. I love Vancouver.

kath6144 Sat 18-Feb-17 10:30:53

If you want to go see your relative then do so, but don't expect the kids to remember it when older.

Mine are 19 and almost 17. We went to Canada 4 yrs ago, the youngest doesn't remember everything even though she was 13.

As for childhood holidays, they look at us blankly when we talk abut places and experiences from when they were younger, they literally remember very little of it, despite us going on 3-4 holidays in UK a year (we have a caravan) !! I stare at them in amazement "but you must remember XYZ" - "No, cant remember doing that/going there!".

We started going abroad when youngest was about 7, they remember places generally from those holidays, but not the detail.

loopyloo87 Mon 20-Feb-17 13:17:05

Hi, sorry to hi jack but what do you get for the BA Premium Economy ?

dnamummy Mon 20-Feb-17 14:23:22

I took DS to Canada for our first holiday together after his dad and I split. He was nearly 5 yo and we had a wonderful time and he can still remember lots of it, but I did choose to do lots of things he would enjoy.

Flight to Calgary was good - his first long haul so lunch with lots of packages to open, lots of trips to the exciting toilet, seat back screen with cartoons plus a few books and toys and then we were there - all painless if not quite so relaxing as downing a few G&Ts and snoozing flight away as I would have done pre-kids

Calgary hotel chosen with pool and took a couple of days to gradually shift from 5am waking to normal Canadian timeline. Great zoo. Then boarded Rockie Mountaineer train for 2 day trip through to Vancouver- I loved the scenery and knowledgeable and helpful tour guides and he thought he was living the Thomas the Tank engine dream - both happy

Vancouver is made for kids - the Science museum, Granville market (has a whole kids only section) ferry trips, cable car up Grouse Mountain to see the orphan bears up close, beautiful beaches and lidos if weather good, best aquarium ever etc. Etc.

Restaurant are wonderful and very unstuffy - I like fine dining and they were happy for DS and I to visit - Canadians happy to eat early which suited us, and I'd often have pudding "to go" and eat in hotel after DS gone to bed

You and your whole family will fall in love with BC and will return again and again - we do!

dnamummy Mon 20-Feb-17 14:29:13

Sorry meant to add flight back overnight easy as we both slept all the way, and whilst I need a few days to get over jet lag flying that way he seemed to have no effect at all!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now