Talk

Advanced search

How awful do you think it would be.....

(18 Posts)
handsfree Sun 12-Feb-17 13:17:51

To go to Florida for the last two weeks of the summer holidays and then arrive back home literally the day before ds has to go back to school (starting year 1) he goes back on a Wednesday so only 3 days until it's the weekend.
To go on those dates makes it over £1000 cheaper than going a few days earlier. Dh thinks it will be fine but I'm not so sure.....

DeterminedToChange Sun 12-Feb-17 13:22:38

It'll be fine. Your son will sleep on the flight, won't he?

handsfree Sun 12-Feb-17 13:23:52

Last time we went he slept for about 2 hours on the plane!

ineedamoreadultieradult Sun 12-Feb-17 13:24:19

This might be an unpopular opinion but even if he is too tired to go to the first day of year 1 I don't think it really matters.

BreakfastAtSquiffanys Sun 12-Feb-17 13:24:35

Yup. You won't get a wink as you'll have a 5 year old asleep stretched across your lap

Chinnygirl Sun 12-Feb-17 13:25:31

I always feel half dead after a proper longhaul. I wouldn't do it.

Leggit Sun 12-Feb-17 13:25:49

For a £1k save i would. Chances are you will all sleep in next morning, not really that big a deal though.

UsedToBeAPaxmanFan Sun 12-Feb-17 13:26:06

In my experience the kids are fine. It's the adults who struggle. I would do it to save the money.

user1477282676 Sun 12-Feb-17 13:27:01

Fine. He's small and will be tired either way. It's only a couple of days. Just make sure you lay out his uniform before you head off!

handsfree Sun 12-Feb-17 13:27:24

As long as he sleeps breakfast, I don't care if I do or not! I'll have a 2 year old draped over me as well 😊

Aebj Sun 12-Feb-17 13:28:26

We've done long haul with ds's .
Ds's were in year 1 & 3. ( neary 7 & 9). We flew from Hawaii to Perth Australia. ( 16 hours total flight time, nearly a day time difference, 2 flights). The boys slept from Sydney to Perth ( about a 5 hour fight). We drove home which took 50 ish minutes. We landed at nighttime and got home by 11pm. They went to school fine the Monday morning.
Last year. Aged 12.5 and 10.5 we flew from London ( via Hong Kong). We got in late on the Sunday . Boys went back to school on the Wednesday ( we had tied school holidays in ). They were both fine on the Monday.
I'm sure he will be fine. Go for it.

dingit Sun 12-Feb-17 13:29:13

We did exactly the same as you, except ds went into year 2, Dd year 4. They were fine. Me on the other hand.....😴

Astro55 Sun 12-Feb-17 13:30:53

I don't think it matters it they sleep or not because they will be jet lagged either way! We arrived home at 11pm - ate 'tea' as we were still on US time and went to bed - I dragged them up for school - and they adjusted quickly - gonfor it! Have a great time!! One day won't matter

SnugglySnerd Sun 12-Feb-17 13:34:53

I find it easier to cope with jetlag if I get straight back into normal routine so going to school could actually help! Like you said only 3 days and you can all have a lazy weekend.
Make sure everything he will need for school is ready before you go away and that you have something in for breakfast etc.

MyVisionsComeFromSoup Sun 12-Feb-17 13:38:23

Jetlag hit us a couple of days after we got back from Alaska last summer, not straightaway, so you might be OK till the weekend, if you're getting back Wednesday

handsfree Sun 12-Feb-17 13:43:18

It is true that the time I suffered least from jet lag is when we flew back and had a wedding to go to the same day!! Exhausting but woke up the next morning feeling fine and back on track.

helpfulperson Sun 12-Feb-17 14:30:14

He will be fine. I would say it is important that he is there on day one because that is when they do the explicit teaching of routines, where everything is, what happens at lunchtime etc etc that can be hard to pick up if he isn't there on the first day but if he needs to take perhaps the Friday off then I think that is ok.

Ashers40 Sun 12-Feb-17 23:09:49

We did it a few years ago although I think we had two days before kids went back to school. The parks in Orlando, if that's what you are doing, are apparently quieter at the end of August, certainly we found the queues ok. My kids don't seem to suffer from jet lag in the same way as adults do. One good long nights sleep and they bounce back. If the worst comes to the worst keep him off school on the Thursday. I'm sure he'all get through the Wed with all the excitement of a new school year, new teacher etc

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now