Talk

Advanced search

Destination ideas

(25 Posts)
Jaimx86 Sat 11-Feb-17 17:01:42

Thinking forward to 2018's holidays and I'm thinking about having one 'big' break instead of smaller ones. Where have you been, costing up to £6500, that you would recommend for 16/17 days (could get DP to take a couple days more)? I was thinking about California, but then wondered about east Asia as I've never been there. We like to get out and about independently in resorts, so I don't think a hotel based holiday would work...but I'm open to suggestions.
Please can you share where you've been, and loved?

Jaimx86 Sat 11-Feb-17 17:02:15

That's for two adults, for flights and accommodation.

Newtssuitcase Sat 11-Feb-17 17:08:13

We are off to tour cambodia in a few weeks. It has it amazing temples, fascinating history, rainforests and wildlife, deserted beaches.. Our holiday is coming out at about £6k in total for a family of 4 (staying in nice accommodation)

swimster01 Sat 11-Feb-17 17:10:29

What time of year are you looking at?

Jaimx86 Sat 11-Feb-17 17:13:39

Cambodia was somewhere I was thinking. We like wildlife so that sounds great. I'll buy guide books once I've narrowed it down to a handful of countries/places. It'll be July/Aug, swimster. Although, I wouldn't mind a Christmas break if it needed to be because of the climate.

ihatethecold Sat 11-Feb-17 17:20:30

We did Koh Samui last July/August.
The weather was fantastic.
We stayed in Bangkok on the way back.
I wish we had gone to HK or Singapore instead.
Bali or Borneo are in the dry season.

ineedwine99 Sat 11-Feb-17 17:23:25

We are doing Pacific coast highway in June, c£6k for 2 adults and a baby, fly to LA, drive 19 days up to Seattle then fly home.
Did NZ a couple of years ago and that was amazing, needs to be Nov-March time though.
Hawaii is amazing as is Mauritius and the Seychelles.
Heard great things about Sri Lanka too

ihatethecold Sat 11-Feb-17 17:25:41

We stayed here
www.tongsaibay.co.th/

It was paradise.

2017willbeawesome Sat 11-Feb-17 17:36:08

Best long haul trip I ever had was Northern Thailand and Myanmar. Amazing walled cities, rain forest and oh my the food. Back then very few western tourists (not sure now), but it was breathtaking and interesting, especially if you like walking. The Scorpion temple is a must, the giant scorpion statue overlooking stunning of the golden triangle.

On my list to do is Peru and the Amazon, start at Cuzco and work my way down to the Nazca lines. One day smile

2017willbeawesome Sat 11-Feb-17 17:36:51

Stunning view... I mean!

Jaimx86 Sat 11-Feb-17 17:44:13

Thanks everyone. Giving me lots to think about. That looks great, ihatethecold. It seems like a dual destination is a good idea based on
some of the posts above.

eurochick Sat 11-Feb-17 19:31:24

Borneo is amazing for wildlife. In a week we saw various sea life including turtles hatching, monkeys, orang utans, gibbons, crocodiles and loads more. We moved around and used a travel agent to organise an itinerary (we used Audley, who I would recommend). We didn't have time to climb the mountain but you are planning a slightly longer trip so could fit that in too if you fancy it. It was definitely our best long haul trip so far.

ihatethecold Sat 11-Feb-17 21:09:19

We used Trailfinders.
They were very good.
I gave them a budget and told them my must haves.
Our holiday with our teens in Thailand was truly amazing.

Jaimx86 Sat 11-Feb-17 21:57:04

Borneo sounds fantastic. We love the idea of seeing lots of wildlife. Has anyone been to the Galapagos? I know this will cost more than previously stated.

Eatingcheeseontoast Sat 11-Feb-17 22:04:04

South Africa,fab wildlife and great food. Cambodia, not do much wildlife really,

Newtssuitcase Sun 12-Feb-17 10:26:04

We did south africa last year. I would throughly recommend the Madikwe Safari lodge. It was amazing.

ShanghaiDiva Sun 12-Feb-17 14:28:20

Lots of amazing places to visit in se asia, but the weather is not great in a lot of places in July and August - hot and wet.
Dry places:
Bali and Java
Hoi an in Vietnam
Malaysian Borneo.
Parts of Thailand - not Phuket and not the north.
Singapore is pretty much the same all year - hot and humid.
I wouldn't go to Cambodia for wildlife, although great for history, temples, food and it's very good value.

NannyR Sun 12-Feb-17 14:31:55

I've been looking at a holiday in central America - Nicaragua or Costa Rica. There seems to be lots of wildlife (including baby turtles hatching if you are there at the right time), nice beaches, cities etc.

swimster01 Mon 13-Feb-17 20:28:21

For July holidays, I would also suggest Malaysian Borneo for wildlife.

PunkAssMoFo Mon 13-Feb-17 22:52:42

We did Ecuador & the Galapagos a few years back. It was truly amazing. We used llama travel who build the package to suit you.

Jaimx86 Tue 14-Feb-17 21:14:24

Thanks everyone!

Daydreamer3 Thu 23-Feb-17 15:11:15

Done both and likes both equally. What time of year are doh looking at? You can do we Asia for a lot cheaper than that. We did San Fran- la - Vegas - Mexico for a few days R&R at end with a car hire mustang to drive the coast included in that price. Would highly recommend! X

Daydreamer3 Thu 23-Feb-17 15:12:17

I see you've mentioned July and out of the both I would suggest west coast of America over SE Asia that time of year x

mummymeister Fri 24-Feb-17 08:50:59

Christmas in Belize. we did it and it was fab. howler monkeys in the rainforest, deserted mayan temples, tubing down rivers, early morning bird walks. I could just go on and on and on. its not a huge place and its an unusual destination.

fuzzyduck1 Sun 19-Mar-17 04:02:12

We're in Philippines right now flights £350 hotels around £35 a night food anything from £5 each. Scooter hire £10 day cheap as chips. So 2 weeks going to cost £2500 total. Done 1 month last year in Borneo Singapore Thailand and Malaysia for about £6k total lots of flights and ferries but unreal went to some fantastic places. Check out airline sales in December should be able to get flights for £500 to any wear in Asia booked all rooms in advance on hotels.com prices start from £9 a night per room Asian air for internal flights. Don't bother using arranging agent they add on 20% for their profit.
Done New Zealand year before and hotels ended up costing £300 more due to booking with agent.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now