Talk

Advanced search

Thailand with kids...

(25 Posts)
EyelashCurler Mon 06-Feb-17 13:22:12

Thinking of Thailand in July with dcs 6&4.... anyone done this with kids this age? Long flights aside, anything else we should be aware of?

EyelashCurler Mon 06-Feb-17 17:20:16

Bump

ScarletBegonia1234 Mon 06-Feb-17 17:57:09

Do it you'll love it. I've been to Thailand many times though not with kids. Will be going back either to Thailand or vietnam with our two next year when they will be 2 and 4.

Manijo Mon 06-Feb-17 18:43:25

Been to Thailand many times from when my youngest was 2 as we lived in the FE at the time. I know it's a longhaul from the UK but so worth it when you get there. Great food great people. Look at Hua Hin (lovely hotels but beach not so good). Definably look the Laguna Beach area in Phuket. some lovely hotels there too and really good with small children.

EyelashCurler Mon 06-Feb-17 20:05:57

Thank so both! Think we're going to book it as found a very cheap deal - squeeeeee

Manijo Fri 10-Feb-17 22:36:08

Hope you have a fab time XX

Ashers40 Sun 12-Feb-17 23:13:18

We did it at Christmas with 11 and 9 year olds. Flights were tedious but kids coped well (apart from one vomiting incident!). Helps greatly if they are old enough to watch a few films. We all had a fab holiday (Koh Lanta) and we loved Thailand. They found it v exciting.

Ashers40 Sun 12-Feb-17 23:14:56

You will need some jabs by the way. Book in early at the GP. I left it late they couldn't fit us in and I had to pay privately (expensive)

ExpatTrailingSpouse Sun 12-Feb-17 23:17:10

We just went to Thailand with 3yr old DS. Was fab - couple of days in Bangkok and several more in Phuket. He loved it! We stayed at marriotts so not super cheap but they have very nice properties there.

PrudenceDear Tue 14-Feb-17 21:11:38

We spent a month travelling round Thailand with our DCs when they were 7 and 6. We had a brilliant time and didn't get a single whinge or moan the whole time. We had a few days in Bangkok and Ayyutaya, about a week in Koh Chang and travelled through to Angkor Wat too. Next year we are planning Malaysia and Vietnam. Or maybe the Philippines.

Autumnchill Tue 14-Feb-17 21:14:59

Going to Thailand for the first time end of March. Staying on an island with friends of a friend (Koh Mak). Can't wait! Book your holiday and enjoy!

asdfghjjkl Tue 14-Feb-17 21:19:51

flew to thailand twice with grandkids and their parents, first time there was just one he was 7 months sleep most of the flight second time 2 of them about 2 and 3.5 they loved it mum made them little flight bags with lots of little books and toys and they survived a 24 hour delay to return flight

EyelashCurler Wed 15-Feb-17 10:59:41

Just spotted all these new posts - thanks everyone! We're all booked and are super excited! Good advice re jags, will get that organised
Thanks!

mummymeister Wed 15-Feb-17 14:16:19

Just posted this link on another thread.

www.fitfortravel.nhs.uk/destinations/asia-(east)/thailand.aspx

this is a brilliant website for letting you know what jabs you need. some aren't free at some surgeries anymore though.

EyelashCurler Thu 16-Feb-17 11:59:45

Thanks!

Flyingbytheseatofmypullups Fri 17-Feb-17 08:55:43

We went with a 5 yr old last month and loved it. Overnight flight and didnt stress about adjusting bedtimes when we were there. You will probably need jabs. We did snorkelling, canoe trips etc. Only thing I would plan ahead is how you will travel around. Car seats are not standard for kids. On two days out/ tours DD was expected to travel on my lap and I had to insist she had her own seat with a seat belt. If I went again I'd take one of those trunki backpack booster seats for her. That aside, it was very relaxing and great fun. I think in the summer the weather is better on the west coast but am sure youve checked that out. Enjoy!

Flyingbytheseatofmypullups Fri 17-Feb-17 09:06:20

Sorry, meant to say weather is better on east coast in summer - I think!!

Autumnchill Fri 17-Feb-17 18:22:36

Had my jabs last week for Thailand, already had Hep A but had Tetanus / Polio and Diphtheria combined jab.

Bambambini Fri 17-Feb-17 18:26:39

Where abouts you going OP. Used to go with mine when they were little - it was lovely, even if we did stick to big family friendly hotels rather than go off the beaten track.

EyelashCurler Sat 18-Feb-17 21:11:19

Going to a five star hotel with water park etc in Pattaya... Have read Pattaya has a seedy side but am sure we can avoid it

Any tips for day trip to Bangkok with little ones?

ExpatTrailingSpouse Sun 19-Feb-17 05:23:28

Take the river ferries - super cheap (I think 20 or 40 baht per adult) and you can see quite a few temples from the river, and of course get off and visit them if you like.

I didn't look up the area you're going, but we did a day trip out of Bangkok to the floating market which was pretty awesome (but actually prices were higher for generic tourist stuff than in the city, and food was more expensive than I expected too) and our driver suggested tiger world - DS age 3 got to feed their tiger cubs ( I think they were 3 weeks old or so) which he LOVED. think those Cubs are prob about 4 months now so not sure if they're still doing milk bottles.

Ooogetyooo Mon 20-Feb-17 14:44:18

There is a snake farm in Bankok which my two loved. Floating markets, temples with all those gongs and monks, the golden reclining Buddha, tuk tuk rides, night markets.. Oh you're getting me all nostalgic now, Thailand is great for kids.

PenelopeFlintstone Fri 24-Feb-17 11:59:29

Isn't anyone worried about the recent bombings?

BaileyLadapa Thu 16-Mar-17 21:19:02

For Bangkok with kids - tuk tuk touring bit scared but worth it and please make sure you asked them to go slow,Siam paragon-top floor "kidzoona" one of the largest kid playground,nice to try and they will like it,don't know which hotel you stay but I can suggest some nice brunch/afternoon tea if you want to,they are restaurant on the riverside and rooftop which is another thing you shouldn't missed!
Anything else apart from that just ask,for you info I'm Thai and also was flight attendant so,if you want to know anything about long haul flight with kids

Enjoy and safe trip x

fuzzyduck1 Sun 19-Mar-17 04:22:22

Mmmmmm been traveling to Asia for last 4 years on holidays. Now thinking maybe I should get some of these jabs people keep talking about

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now