Talk

Advanced search

Flights for Oz and New Zealand over Xmas & New Year

(8 Posts)
CoconuttyOil Tue 31-Jan-17 22:30:37

We hope to go to Sydney for New Year and then onto New Zealand for about 3 weeks. Flexible on dates - could go the week before Xmas or between Xmas & New Year - as long as we are there for NYE.

Any tips to find the best value flights and stopovers? Thanks

BIWI Tue 31-Jan-17 22:33:27

It's a really expensive time of year to go - although I'm sure you know that!

My best advice is to call Dial-a-Flight. They can get you much cheaper flights than if you try to book your own flights online.

AttilaTheMeerkat Wed 01-Feb-17 09:09:06

I would book the flights directly with the airlines concerned though rather than use a third party. You do not need a middleman.

specialsubject Thu 02-Feb-17 09:57:02

And make sure you have what will be very expensive accommodation booked too. There will probably be minimum stay requirements, check before arranging flights.

Peak time in nz too so again, plan ahead.

GinSolvesEverything Fri 03-Feb-17 06:30:47

Asian airlines are normally the cheapest. China Southern for example, also Air Korea.

You will pay a premium for the top quality airlines - Air NZ, Singapore, Cathay. Thai is normally ok. Personally I'd always pay a bit more for a better airline, but that's not always possible - especially at the most expensive time to travel.

Qatar Air is about to start service to NZ so you may find a good deal with them?

SloanyAnne Fri 03-Feb-17 06:44:31

I've had good deals in the Air NZ autumn sale before but you'd be taking a chance waiting that long.

fitflopqueen Fri 03-Feb-17 06:47:24

Use the sky scanner site, you can vary dates, routes etc and it will show everything

RoccoW14 Fri 03-Feb-17 15:05:25

If you want cheapest, book with one of the Chinese airlines.. but you'll likely have lengthy layovers in regional Chinese cities, sometimes 2+ each way.

Personally, I'd pay a bit extra for a flight which takes you straight through on the same plane, with just a brief stop in, as an example, Singapore for the plane to refuel. You can do this on BA, Emirates, Qantas, Singapore..

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now