Talk

Advanced search

Anyone flown emirates recently? Pre booking seats

(14 Posts)
NannyR Sun 29-Jan-17 23:37:11

I've got some flights booked to Australia in a few weeks with Emirates. Have just been looking at my booking and there is a charge of £20 per flight to pre book my seats (so £80 in total). I'm flying on my own so I don't need to book seats next to someone but I do like an aisle seat. Would you risk leaving it till 48 hours before the flight (when I can reserve for free) or do you think all that will be left by then will be middle seats?

NannyR Mon 30-Jan-17 14:59:14

Bump

HanarCantWearSweaters Mon 30-Jan-17 15:01:11

That's odd, are you sure it's just this early that you can't book? I have a long haul Emirates flight next Tuesday and I chose my seats today.

SavoyCabbage Mon 30-Jan-17 15:03:15

I've never come across that and I have flown emirates loads of times. Per flight as well!

I'd pay it though. It's a hell of a long way to be stuck in the middle seat or next to the toilet. Some people book 11 months in advance, when the flights are released, just so they can pick a good seat.

SavoyCabbage Mon 30-Jan-17 15:05:17

Well I never!

"You can reserve seats through our Manage a Booking page. There’s no charge for seat selection if you’re travelling in Business Class or First Class, or in Economy Class on a Flex or Flex Plus fare. If you’re travelling in Economy Class on a Special or Saver fare, you’ll need to pay for Advanced Seat Reservation. You can find out more about Advanced Seat Reservation in our dedicated FAQs."

NannyR Mon 30-Jan-17 15:10:57

I think I probably will pay it, I'll just be annoyed with myself if I get on the plane and it turns out it's half empty and I can sit anywhere I like!!!
You would think with the cost of the tickets that it would be included though.

HanarCantWearSweaters Mon 30-Jan-17 15:23:34

I don't understand that, SC; my itinerary lists my fare as Economy Saver, but I've been able to choose my seats today and on two of the flights, to change the seats again after my first choice.

SavoyCabbage Mon 30-Jan-17 15:30:41

I don't understand it either! I know I have flown saver too and I've always changed my seats and meals.

NannyR Mon 30-Jan-17 15:54:52

From reading the FAQ section it looks like the charge applies to flights booked after 3rd October 2016, so it's a recent thing, I booked in November. It's definitely charging me though, the price comes up when you select the seat.

FinallyHere Mon 30-Jan-17 16:00:36

Just a thought, though, flights to/from AUS are rarely half empty.

HanarCantWearSweaters Mon 30-Jan-17 16:01:52

Ah that must be it then, mine were booked Aug/Sept I think.
Such a shame they're charging now; I would have thought the level of class that Emirates should have the price included!

GB50 Mon 30-Jan-17 20:07:10

This a good company. I think they would make sure you had seats together and where the cots can be fixed up to the wall - I would ring them and see what you can sort out. Better ahead than on the day when you have enough else to worry about. Ask for what you want and the sooner the better would be my advice. Emirates is a class act and I don't think they would disappoint you with this.

SavoyCabbage Mon 30-Jan-17 20:20:20

She is flying on her own though.

Gone are the days of half empty flights. I can't remember the last time I saw an empty seat!

Buxtonstill Sat 11-Feb-17 20:17:04

Emirates flights are very very rarely half empty. We fly with them a lot, albeit 1st/business, but even in those classes they get very busy nearer the flight. Emirates code share for Qantas, Air Mauritius, Qatar, to name but a few.if they can sell a seat to another airline, they will. And passengers rarely complain as Emirates are a great airline.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now