Talk

Advanced search

New York with kids

(16 Posts)
summerblonde Sun 29-Jan-17 19:02:15

Anyone been?

OP’s posts: |
2014newme Sun 29-Jan-17 19:03:37

Yes took my 8 year olds it was fantastic.

Hulababy Sun 29-Jan-17 19:10:43

We've been three times and loved it each time.

Visit 1 - dd was when DD was 7y (also went with friends with their 6y and 4y girls.) We went for a week and stayed fin a house a but further out near Broad Channel and got the underground in every day. All three girls had a great time.

Visit 2 and 3 were with DD aged 8y and then 11y. Both times for 4/5 days as part of a longer East Coast trip. Stayed in Manhattan area in hotels.

There are lots of activities for children in the city. It is probably DD's favourite city.

ThroughThickAndThin01 Sun 29-Jan-17 19:12:16

Yes. Our kids were 8,6,4 fantastic holiday.

summerblonde Sun 29-Jan-17 19:22:48

Oh that's really good to hear. Thanks all.

DD will be 8 when we go. We were thinking the Oct half term 2018. Autumn is my fave time of year. Rather than doing another beach holiday. We are going on a beach hol in Aug so that rules this year out.

If anyone could recommend hotels or where you went with kids I'd really appreciate it. I was thinking a show on broadway, obvs the museums.

2014newme Sun 29-Jan-17 20:19:46

We went to the Caribbean from new York it worked really well to combine the two into one holiday.
I would only see a shout it's something I couldn't see in UK, it's more expensive inner York and seems a bit pointless to spend your precious time there doing something you could do at home.

2014newme Sun 29-Jan-17 20:20:10

A show, not a shout! Sorry!

summerblonde Sun 29-Jan-17 21:45:22

Yes new me good point actually. Not sure my DP would want to sit through Chicago or something along those lines!

2014newme Sun 29-Jan-17 21:48:38

Chicago is not for kids!

summerblonde Sun 29-Jan-17 23:16:17

Is really?! Oops, maybe the lion king then.

2014newme Mon 30-Jan-17 06:50:27

But you can see lion king in London at less cost than Broadway. Broadway tickets are very expensive. Unless you are seeing something you can't see in UK, why would you waste precious new York time doing things you can do at home?
Having said that it's quite a tiring city so a couple hours sit down may be a restful interlude!

Poppiesway1 Sat 29-Apr-17 11:34:32

Any more recommendations?
I'm hoping to take ds2 11 in Feb half term next year. Will be just us two together.
Where would be best for us to based? And things an 11yr old boy would like to do!

Bythebeach Tue 02-May-17 17:34:55

You've probably seen it but I've got this thread running

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/longhaul/2901345-New-York-City-with-kids?pg=3

We're going May half-term so will report back.

Oly5 Tue 02-May-17 17:36:38

NYC is brilliant with kids. We've taken ours since they were small. We tend to stay centrally - Times Sq etc and then walk as much as possible to the "sights".
It's a lot of fun

bojorojo Sun 07-May-17 02:46:48

February will be cold! Very cold and possibly snowy. April is better! However you should consider The Highline for a good walk, Brooklyn Bridge too. The Metropolitan Museum has something for everyone and is very strong on American art and culture. There is also the Tenement Museum in the Lower East Side. You can do Top of the Rock or The Empire State Building.

I am not sure how you get sports tickets. We were treated to a baseball match by friends but that was summer . It was also rather boring and 4 hours long! The audience ate, drank and talked all the way thorough.

You can get the Staten Island Ferry and also go to Ellis Island. Times Square is a wide bit of road with neon lights. As a first visit, stay central, but it's actually nicer in the SoHo area. More of a neighbourhood.

We went to a show with our friends and it was mega expensive so be careful what you book. There are outlets for unsold tickets like London. Just walking about is great and call into Grand Cental station for the ceiling and shoe shine boys. My DDs also liked Radio City Music Hall and so did I! It is a gem of Art Deco architecture.

If you do a bit of shopping research you may find a great store that caters for a particular interest or hobby. Americans are not snobby and you can walk into Tiffany and look at the diamonds if you wish. Happy planning.

Pinkpeanut27 Wed 10-May-17 19:13:15

We took ours last year 6,13,13. They loved it . We stayed at the Kimberly suites and it was brilliant .
We went for 12 days and did the regular tourist things but over a longer period as they just liked hanging out !
So their favourites were
Natural history museum
Going to the top of the Empire State
Ellis island
There is a boat museum - intrepid I think ?
Baseball. The boys watched it every evening and went out to Queens to watch a game - Mets
Central Park - boating lake or biking.
Trump tower ! We used to hang around there quite a lot as there was a Starbucks free wifi and air con!

Basically whatever they like here you can do it in NYC

We are doing Disney this year but I think we'd rather be going back to New York .

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in