Talk

Advanced search

Recommended places to visit near Seattle

(8 Posts)
Nonyummymummy Sun 29-Jan-17 14:22:01

We have been invited to a family wedding near Seattle in mid August next year. We live in London so are thinking of doing 2 weeks with the wedding in the middle so we are not still suffering from the time difference. We have DD 12 & DS 10. We enjoy sightseeing, a bit of walking, beaches etc and DD is looking forward to a bit of shopping. DH doesn't want to spend lots of time behind the wheel and I don't fancy driving over there. Anybody recommend places to visit and maybe spend a few says in the general region. We have been to Vancouver before but never to Seattle.

PutDownThatLaptop Sun 29-Jan-17 14:27:49

Snoqualmie Falls is very nice and can be impressive in full flow.
Also maybe catch one of the ferries from Seattle. You should go to the top of the Space Needle too as the views are amazing on a clear day.

AttilaTheMeerkat Sun 29-Jan-17 14:36:35

I liked it here and it is close to both the Space Needle, the EMP (Experience Music Project), the Duck tour and the monorail into the Downtown area.

hamptoninn3.hilton.com/en/hotels/washington/hampton-inn-and-suites-seattle-downtown-SEADTHX/index.html They offer breakfast as part of the room rate and there are laundry facilities on site.

We did not drive in Seattle either (traffic there can also be heavy going to and from the airport). Uber was available and reasonably priced.
We visited the Aquarium, CenturyLink Field and went on a tour of the Boeing factory during our stay there.

Nonyummymummy Sun 29-Jan-17 14:43:57

Will check those tips out. It will be our wedding anniversary while we're there. Was thinking of finding a nice park based accommodation for a few nights. Also have looked at hiring an RV for a few nights as have never done that but they look quite expensive so undecided. We are not seasoned campers but have done that a few times too in the UK.

Mamia15 Sun 29-Jan-17 17:16:34

The Boeing factory which is just outside Seattle is worth a visit - apparently its the world's largest building.

In Seattle itself, we enjoyed a visit to the Space Needle and its surrounding attractions including a garden made of glass.

Pike Market was good - its huge with lots of floors and stalls selling crafts, food etc.

The Underground Tour was another highlight that my teens enjoyed.

RusholmeRuffian Sun 29-Jan-17 18:29:44

Mount Rainier National Park is stunning and less than two hours from Seattle.

Teds77 Sun 29-Jan-17 19:41:35

We're flying in/out of Seattle this August but planning more of a road trip - there is a thread I got some suggestions on 'Pacific Northwest' not too far down the long haul sections. The San Juan Islands are not too far away for a few days trip. We are planning two nights in Mount Rainer NP and we're driving on the evening we arrive and it looks like just a few hours.

Nonyummymummy Mon 30-Jan-17 08:38:20

Thanks all, starting to feel excited smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now