Talk

Advanced search

ESTA: US visa refused 20 yrs ago, still matters?

(7 Posts)
KensalMama Thu 26-Jan-17 20:06:16

Hi, I am from an EU country & have lived in the UK since 1989. 20 years ago, in 1997, I decided to go to America for a week, and realised that people from my country needed a Visa at the time. To my horror, my application was turned down by the US embassy in London. The grounds given were that I had only been working at my job for one and a half years, and that I was not a homeowner. Fast forward to 2017. I have been a British citizen for 10 years, with dual nationality, and I'm planning another trip to the US. I only need to get an ESTA, but apparently they ask you if a Visa has been denied to you in the past. I would be bound to say yes, as I wouldn't want to commit immigration fraud. Is there still a chance I would get the ESTA approved, do you think? Or will I definitely need to book for a Visa appointment? I did not fail on any account of a criminal record or anything like that, and I am now married, with children, my husband and I have been working at the same job for 20 years. Please help, as it is totally impossible to speak to human being I'm calling US consulate. I need to add that we have, stupidly, already paid for our trip because I didn't imagine that, on my British passport, any previous issues would matter. We are travelling 27 March to 14 April, me & DH & DC. Thanks in advance!

KensalMama Thu 26-Jan-17 20:07:07

Hi, I am from an EU country & have lived in the UK since 1989. 20 years ago, in 1997, I decided to go to America for a week, and realised that people from my country needed a Visa at the time. To my horror, my application was turned down by the US embassy in London. The grounds given were that I had only been working at my job for one and a half years, and that I was not a homeowner. Fast forward to 2017. I have been a British citizen for 10 years, with dual nationality, and I'm planning another trip to the US. I only need to get an ESTA, but apparently they ask you if a Visa has been denied to you in the past. I would be bound to say yes, as I wouldn't want to commit immigration fraud. Is there still a chance I would get the ESTA approved, do you think? Or will I definitely need to book for a Visa appointment? I did not fail on any account of a criminal record or anything like that, and I am now married, with children, my husband and I have been working at the same job for 20 years. Please help, as it is totally impossible to speak to human being I'm calling US consulate. I need to add that we have, stupidly, already paid for our trip because I didn't imagine that, on my British passport, any previous issues would matter. We are travelling 27 March to 14 April, me & DH & DC. Thanks in advance.

RusholmeRuffian Thu 26-Jan-17 21:55:52

Why not just do the ESTA application now? At least then you'd know within 72 hours. Also the quicker you start the process, the quicker it'll get sorted if there's an issue.

KensalMama Sat 28-Jan-17 18:49:30

Hi, thanks Rusholme Ruffian (a Smiths fan?) I am going to do that - have heard that ESTAS can be revoked so a bit worried that even if I were to get it, I might still end up refused entry at the airport/border. Anyone with similar experience, tips or advice?

RusholmeRuffian Sun 29-Jan-17 18:34:47

I think it's likely that if your ESTA is approved you will not have a problem. I did have a friend years ago whose visa was declined for similar reasons to yours "insufficient links to the UK" I think was the wording. She has since successfully applied for an ESTA and had no problems visiting the US. Fingers crossed for you that you get it sorted. And yes, a Smiths Fan smile

Hassled Sun 29-Jan-17 18:38:04

I was declined for a US visa in the 80s - they thought I was planning to work illegally (they weren't wrong). I had no problems getting into the US for a holiday in 2006, and again last year. I'm sure you'll be fine.

MrsderPunkt Fri 03-Feb-17 19:42:14

Have you done it yet? If it does get refused you're going to have to work at top speed and be very lucky to get a visa in time. Really hope it went well for you.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now