Talk

Advanced search

Advice/Tips for Hong Kong.

(9 Posts)
1805 Tue 24-Jan-17 19:49:42

I'm off to HK at the end of May for a week. I'm staying with a friend who will be working, so will have some days and some evenings to myself.
What should I see/do when I'm by myself?
Who should I fly with? (from LHR) Cathay Pacific??
Furthest East I've ever been is Turkey, so I'm really excited!

ShanghaiDiva Tue 24-Jan-17 23:41:45

Cathay is good - food generally decent, great entertainment system and staff are helpful.
HK is easy to get around and recommend the following:
Star ferry
Take the cable car over to Lantau
HK history museum
Walking tour of Central area - details in lonely planet book, but may have similar on their website
Take the bus to Stanley and wander around the market

littleme96 Wed 25-Jan-17 09:52:18

Definitely go on the Star Ferry - it is inexpensive and a sight in itself.

Go up to The Peak for excellent views. We took a taxi when we went, but you could also go by tram.

Ocean Park was a fun day out. They had giant pandas, rides and an amazing cable car, which is a real must-do!

There are lots of temples to see. We visited Man Mo Temple which is situated right in the city and is small, but atmospheric with loads of incense coils suspended from the ceiling.

If you like nature, then take a boat trip to see the pink dolphins with a company called Hong Kong Dolphin Watch. One of those once in a lifetime things to do and a very memorable day out. Thoroughly recommend doing it!

twinmamma2b Sun 29-Jan-17 19:39:55

Agree about all the suggestions above. I would add Wong Tai Sin temple and also the cable car to Big Buddha on Lantau Island.

marjoryno3 Sun 29-Jan-17 19:52:28

I don't have time to type a lot right now but I lived in Hong Kong for over a year. Get the tram up to the Peak then walk back down through the country park on the other side. Lovely views and actually peaceful. You can get a bus or taxi easy enough at other side back to anywhere you are staying. The jade market and temple street night market and most importantly the symphony of lights. Get the star ferry and watch from kowloon side as that is where the music is. My absolute favourite part of HK. Also the Aqua Luna is a more traditional style junk boat that does evening cruises around the harbour with cocktails.

BiggerBoatNeeded Sun 29-Jan-17 19:53:23

Agree with all above, am envious of your trip. The tram up to the peak is good. Afternoon tea at the peninsula hotel was also fun. Cathay Pacific is definitely decent. Loved the big Buddha also. Ferry brilliant. Light show (buildings lit up) by the water at night was entertaining. Find a good dim sum place for lunch one day. Lots of temples, very atmospheric. Did I mention I'm envious grin?!

MercyMyJewels Sun 29-Jan-17 20:02:09

Wear decent shoes, some areas v greasy underfoot. And severe gradients

It's fab, have fun

MollyHuaCha Sun 29-Jan-17 20:06:34

Have afternoon tea in the Peninsula hotel.
Take the ferry to Lamma island and spend the afternoon on the beach.
Visit some temples.

1805 Tue 31-Jan-17 18:57:58

Thanks everyone. Some common ideas here which is great.
I am both excited and nervous at the same time!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now