Talk

Advanced search

Baby food and glass jars / milk / flying

(16 Posts)
selee Sat 24-Feb-07 12:37:32

Hi, We are about to take our 7 month on a 9 hour flight with Air Canada. I was hoping someone may be any to answer my questions?

Can I take cartons of baby milk on board, and can I take (glass) jars of Hipp baby food on baord too?

Many thanks!

DizzyBint Sat 24-Feb-07 12:39:31

probably best to check withe the airline directly, then you know you have the correct and most up to date information. some airlines provide baby food.

selee Sat 24-Feb-07 12:42:37

I did, and the person wasn't helpful at all and couldn't answer me excpet saying I was only allowed to take 100mls of fluid , but it would be ok if I could get it through check in! She ordered me a baby meal but it is not pureed like my son has his food. So all in all i didn't learn much. I have friends that flew to Australia and they said baby milk was exempt. Sorry am a bit confused!

DizzyBint Sat 24-Feb-07 12:44:49

then i'd ring back and ask to speak to someone more snior. or try the airport directly and ask to a check in supervisor.

selee Sat 24-Feb-07 13:45:50

I think I will try the airport check in, as the air canada number there wasn't anyone more senior, i asked, but it was a call centre in india.

foxtrot Sat 24-Feb-07 13:48:04

current rules

selee Sat 24-Feb-07 13:57:22

Just spoken to a man at heathrow security. He says you can take baby milk either as water to be mixed later, or ready made up in bottles, for them to store in a fridge on the plane, and that i would be asked to taste it. And baby food or any kind was fine, but the pots would need to be keep in a clear plastic bag, also would be required to taste it. I feel better now! Thanks for your posts.

Waswondering Sat 24-Feb-07 14:02:03

I flew Zoom to canada in December - had to taste baby food on way out, but not on way back! Don't know about milk as dd was bf (6.5m at the time!), but she fed A LOT on the way out so I would take more milk than you think you would need. Keeping the powder separate may be easier than tasting cartons.

Do you have a sky cot booked? Zoom didn't have them unfortunately! The people behind us dropped 2 back seat food trays and their dd slept on those (was amazed!). Someone else had more legroom and had taken the car seat into the cabin and baby slept in that. Dd just slept on me!!!

Recommend those milton wipes things to clean the tray as it can be a bit manky and that way you won't worry about your baby. Milton wipes were also v useful for cleaning up highchairs when out and about.

Good luck - have a good flight!

Nikki76 Sat 24-Feb-07 14:38:05

I was going to take the ready made cartons as they are already sealed but after reading this post, am wondering whether to ask for boiled water on the plane and just take the powder in those powder containers you can buy for formula - what do you think?

Nikki76 Sat 24-Feb-07 18:49:03

bump

Olihan Sat 24-Feb-07 19:06:00

I would take powder and bottles of cooled boiled water for the cabin crew to heat for you. The water from the water heaters can be a bit lime scaly and you might not be too keen on giving it to your baby!

Another tip for you is to avoid giving your baby a bottle on take off if it's not her normal feed time. We were advised to do it to help the air pressure/ears popping but 6 month old dd promptly threw it back up all over me. 12 hours covered in milky sick is NOT an experience I'd do again! I'd either give a dummy or plain water and take a change of clothes for me!

Waswondering Sat 24-Feb-07 20:02:23

Agree, take bottles of water as I've been told before that the "boiled" water on board isn't good enough for babies. However, reheating bottled water would be ok. Not sure their boiled water would reach the recommended temperature.

Nikki76 Sat 24-Feb-07 20:22:10

So much to think about isn't it!!! Thats before I've even got to Syria and got the stress of no seatbelts/car seats!!

I need a valium....lol

selee Sat 24-Feb-07 20:33:53

I know , I just can't wait for the flight to be over! I really hope ds doesn't get unsettled. I am going to take my own cooled boiled water and milk powder.

Waswondering Sat 24-Feb-07 22:06:15

it'll be fine! Just remember that once you're on, you settle back and get on with it. Honestly, it'll be fine. Eating is challenging as babies are so interested to know what you have on your tray, but it enriches life!

Have a good trip!

(So are you flying from Canada to Syria?)

Nikki76 Sun 25-Feb-07 21:02:44

Hiya

No, London to Syria....not that long a journey so I think I'm just flapping tooooo much!!! Its genetic!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now