Talk

Advanced search

Philippine airlines?

(8 Posts)
1000hobnobs Fri 20-Jan-17 22:20:22

Has anyone used them for long haul? Are they awful? It'd be a 9 hour flight on one of their older aircraft, Middle East to Manila. It's super cheap but will I live to regret it? Outbound is a night flight. Someone told me there's no personal entertainment system shock

There's no business class on this route before anyone suggests that...

MardAsSnails Sat 21-Jan-17 04:57:42

Honestly? I think you'll live to regret. Many low paid Filipinos in the UAE will pay extra to go with emirates, etihad etc if their work suggest going Philippine air. Legroom is non existent and baggage allowance is small.

Last time I looked it was around £300 for Philippine air and only around £350 for etihad for return AUH-MNL, and according to friends who've done the route often, well worth it. Definitely no entertainment.

Unless I've booked already, I'd look around for deals on the big airlines.

1000hobnobs Sat 21-Jan-17 19:03:56

I feared as much... The flight is coming up at £250 and is direct. Other indirect airlines are around £600 for semi decent flight times... This will be during Eid so there aren't really any bargains. Back to the drawing board!

fuzzyduck1 Sun 22-Jan-17 23:27:09

We've just booked flights to Philippines from U.K. £370 return with emerates so there not as expensive as you might think.

1000hobnobs Mon 23-Jan-17 04:49:08

I'm not in the UK. Despite being hours closer, flights from the Middle East (at least where I am) to pretty much anywhere are usually the same price or more expensive than the UK.

For the dates I'm looking at (which are the equivalent of Christmas or Easter in this part of the world), Emirates are coming up at £800.

PotteringAlong Mon 23-Jan-17 04:56:34

I've only done internal flights with them in the Philippines - I wouldn't do long haul!

MrsPeelyWally Wed 25-Jan-17 09:15:50

Not even my Filipino staff would travel with their national airline, not that I'd ever expect them to.

Try Oman Air, their fares are quite reasonable.

MrsPeelyWally Wed 25-Jan-17 09:25:44

Sorry, Thai Airways are also considered cheap. Its the airline recruitment agencies use to bring people here if your not bothered hmm about the fact there can be 11 hour wait in Bangkok.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now