Talk

Advanced search

Travel tips with 2.5yo & 5yo

(6 Posts)
MummyV18 Wed 18-Jan-17 14:25:01

Hi, we're going on our first family holiday abroad in August and we're going to visit family in Australia. (From U.K.)

I need all your tips for surviving a long haul flight with a 2.5yo & 5yo (boys), what to take? And are trunkis any good or too bulky for carry on?
All tips welcome from plane survival, packing for 3 weeks or items to buy.

dontcallmethatyoucunt Wed 18-Jan-17 20:14:25

Let them take a back pack that they can carry. You will not want trunkis IMO, they don't fit anywhere except overhead and you'll be up and down like a loon.

Give up any hope of a film, dedicated yourself to the kids, take lots of pocket toys, make sure you have a headset they can use. It'll be fine!

mummymeister Wed 18-Jan-17 21:44:25

go to your local charity or £1 shop. buy about 10 little presents each. wrap them up and give out one every hour of the flight (or so). play a game guessing what they are and then play with the toy for an hour or more if possible. re wrap on the way back and see if your 5 yr old can guess what they are. take anything else that you need in the way of preloaded favourite tv shows.

Artandco Wed 18-Jan-17 21:48:49

Not trunkies, they have to be stored overhead and awkward to get stuff out of. When seatbelt lights on you can't get anything out overhead.
Just small mini rucksack for 5 year old, and put 2 year old stuff in your bag.

Spare tshirt and pants
Cardigan or jumper as aircon can be cold on plane.
Books. Depending on reading level, but where's wally and mr men ones good for both and small.
Word search book for 5 year old
Some snacks they like

sm40 Wed 18-Jan-17 21:59:16

Who are you flying with? I went with 7 and 5 yo to oz and in emirates they just watched tv/played iPad. Hardly touched my bag of stuff! Do take changes of clothes. My dd managed to spill a drink on herself both flight legs!! Also those neck pillows are very good if you are in economy. Maybe take a rucksack of things between them. Favourite teddy and small toys/cars/trains to fiddle with as well as sticker books. And a tablet, each if possible. Make sure you have also ordered the child menu. Not automatic on BA! Don't expect for you to sleep too much but it's worth it once you get there! Where are you going to?? If it's Perth I am jealous!

Kirriemuir Sun 22-Jan-17 15:32:19

August is winter in Australia so pack layers, jumpers etc.

No to trunkis. Way too much hassle. Just a rucksack each if necessary but you don't need that much stuff on a flight. DS changed into his onesie on the flights.

Plenty inflight entertainment. We've got noise cancelling headphones which are perfect. Much better than the cheap things on the plane. I took some extra water and snacks on our last Australian trip. Just let them have screen time.

Yes to booking kids meals but they can be repetitive. Out of 6 meals we had with Emirates to Perth last year 5 were pasta bolognaise.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now