Talk

Advanced search

Manchester to Brisbane via Hong Kong

(16 Posts)
Buggerlugs123 Tue 17-Jan-17 08:46:23

Posting on here for advice. We are planning on going to Brisbane next December with a stop over in Hong Kong. Has anyone got any experience of doing this and of flying with Cathay Pacific? It would be myself and 2 young teens.
Thanks

wheatchief Tue 17-Jan-17 10:39:29

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Buggerlugs123 Tue 17-Jan-17 12:46:35

Thanks for your reply. I just wanted to know whether Cathay were a nice company to fly with and will I be able to get around in Hong Kong just myself and 2 kids? Also what 82692697are the must see's in HK? I'm a bit nervous of going by myself but need to put my big girl pants on and just do it!!!

NicknameUsed Tue 17-Jan-17 12:57:49

I have flown to Hong Kong with Cathay Pacific. They were very good. The flight left on a Thursday morning and we arrived on Saturday morning, and quite honestly we were just about wiped out that first day.

We stayed on Hong Kong island and took a trip up Victoria Peak, visited Stanley market and Aberdeen Harbour, and went to Lantau island.

The first few things we did on a tour, but we just used the underground and Star ferries for Lantau, although since building the new airport on the island the transport infrastructure will have changed since we went in 1996.

We found Hong Kong very easy to get around and it felt very safe.

wheatchief Tue 17-Jan-17 13:21:23

Teds77 Tue 17-Jan-17 14:52:06

I've only done a short flight with Cathay so can't help with that (they were fine but It was a long time ago).

I've done short stops in Hong Kong, Singapore and Kuala Lumpur on the way to Australia and HK is definitely my favourite. Loads to do, easy to get around and it is really beautiful - both the setting of the city itself as well as the beaches/hills/nature that you might be able to explore depending on how much time you were staying.

Get those big girl pants on! grin

ShanghaiDiva Tue 17-Jan-17 23:46:45

I really like Cathay - entertainment system is very good and staff are professional and helpful. HK is really easy to get around by metro and as pp have said star ferry is a must.
Other ideas - ocean park, Lantau Island (take the cable car from the end of the tung Chung line), the peak, history museum is good, Stanley market, HK Disney has new areas like toy story land, walking tour around central (details in lonely planet).

Buggerlugs123 Wed 18-Jan-17 12:45:33

Thanks everyone-I'm convinced and will be booking next week-exciting!!!smile

Buggerlugs123 Wed 18-Jan-17 14:24:28

Forgot to say wheatchief -we are thinking a 3 night stay and my children will be 12 & 14 so shopping for DD but DS (14) is very active!! I've been looking online at HK and I'm quite giddy now!!!!smile

MiniMaxi Wed 18-Jan-17 14:31:45

What everyone else said! HK is a really fun place to spend a couple of days.

Star Ferry and Victoria Peak are the key tourist attractions - plus the nightly harbour laser light show (I think at 8pm)

Mong Kok market is good fun for souvenir shopping.

Enjoy!

tothefareast80 Wed 18-Jan-17 14:45:30

I've lived on HK for quite a while now, what specifically would you like to do/experience?

ChocolateMintBalls Wed 18-Jan-17 14:53:09

I've done it, Cathy are a great airline. How long will you be in Hong Kong for? The peak is a must for the views and look out for the lights on an evening, think it's 8 or 9. Lantau and the big Buddha is brilliant and defiantly the night markets for souvenirs. Boat to Lamma island and walk from one side to other and get boat at other end, really interesting and very different from city. Kowloon walled city park was a nice trip out as well. The sky bar Ozone was great for views and also for viewing the light show from the other side. Then there's obviously Disneyland and ocean park if that's your kind of thing!

ChocolateMintBalls Wed 18-Jan-17 14:54:00

Sorry just seen their ages, they would love ocean park I bet! Hong Kong is a fabulous place.

ChocolateMintBalls Wed 18-Jan-17 14:55:08

Just to add it's so easy and cheap to get around by train with you use a pre paid card for that you can get at the big stations or by taxi or download the Uber app and use them.

wheatchief Wed 18-Jan-17 14:57:46

Buggerlugs123 Wed 18-Jan-17 20:46:11

Thanks for all the ideas-sounds like there is plenty to do! Will have to see what we can squeeze in in 3 days! I think I may come back heavier - sounds like I will love all the food!!!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now