Talk

Advanced search

Suggestions for cheapest back packer destination / holiday....

(7 Posts)
another20 Sat 14-Jan-17 20:54:42

Have 4 teens would like to do a back packer holiday for a month or so this July/Aug with them - so looking for a destination where the flight and costs at destination are good value in July/Aug - thinking about somewhere like Sri Lanka, Colombia, Ecuador etc?

mummummummummm Sat 14-Jan-17 21:03:50

Sri Lanka is dead easy to travel around, loads of culture, beach, tea plantations, temples, treks. Went there when I was pregnant and we'd love to go back.
I probably wouldn't go to Columbia due to the darker side, drugs etc.
Have you thought about travelling through Central America? We had a 6 week trip going from Panama City to Nicaragua which was amazing; treks, beaches, diving, white water rafting, history...

Am jealous OP!

mummummummummm Sat 14-Jan-17 21:04:37

Also remember that if you do stop overs the flight cost can often come down!

JudithTaverner Sat 14-Jan-17 21:05:18

I took my kids to Indonesia backpacking last August. FLights reasonably priced (iirc around £400 each) and cheap when you're there. Loads to do and easy to travel around.

another20 Sun 15-Jan-17 18:40:04

Thanks all -- think we will go for Sri Lanka as there lots of very varied/activities/experiences over relatively short distances - on average 2-3 hrs between locations and lost we can do by train.....will start researching now....

mummummummummm Sun 15-Jan-17 20:50:41

You can also hire a driver for a few days for pretty cheap - we did this to explore the temple area and it was so worth while as then you can spend as much time as you want exploring each temple, climbing etc and not have to rely on tours / more expensive taxis.

ShanghaiDiva Mon 16-Jan-17 09:34:38

Check the weather for Sri Lanka, there is a summer monsoon.
Vietnam is pretty cheap. The North (Sapa) is too wet in the summer, but Hanoi is reasonable (some wet days) and Hoi an will be dry.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now