Talk

Advanced search

Long haul without zika

(11 Posts)
spinduffy Mon 09-Jan-17 21:24:30

We have just had a failed IVF and will try again in April/ may. We need a break to unwind in between and get some heat.

Zika pretty much rules out anywhere hot in March, outside of Europe. We can only find South Africa and UAE as options. Australia too far for 2 weeks. Any other options?

Rainshowers Fri 13-Jan-17 19:45:32

My friend has the same problem - she ended up opting for Sri Lanka

TheWildRumpyPumpus Fri 13-Jan-17 19:47:41

We're going to Mauritius this year, didn't think there was Zika there but we're not planning pregnancy so not too bothered!

Sparklyuggs Sat 28-Jan-17 07:42:11

Seychelles was zika free when I went last year, we were TTC so needed somewhere suitable.

Also the USA is safe, maybe not Florida but I'd check. Depending on the time of year you go you can definitely get sun and beach there.

Anaconda33 Tue 31-Jan-17 17:37:15

Sri Lanka or Jordan or Tanzania (Zanzibar)

NotPennysBoat Tue 31-Jan-17 21:18:22

Morocco? Thailand? Bali?

Iamchanging Tue 31-Jan-17 21:26:27

Another vote for Mauritius. We are TTC and have just booked there.

AttilaTheMeerkat Tue 31-Jan-17 22:07:23

Bermuda.

Eastpoint Tue 31-Jan-17 22:10:05

Bermuda won't be hot in March, the sea will be at its coldest.

saltycaramelshortbread Tue 31-Jan-17 22:25:19

Morocco, or the Canaries?

I had a miscarriage in December so needed a break but wanted to start ttc again - I went to the Caribbean and was very liberal with the DEET. Most resorts (including mine) seem to spray twice daily to minimise mosquitoes as well. The chances of actually contracting zika are very small.

It's definitely not a risk I'd take if I was actually pregnant, but I was ok with a tiny chance of having to postpone ttc for a month or two. And I didn't get bitten at all.

spinduffy Fri 03-Feb-17 21:12:06

We love Thailand and would love to go back, but it's showing as a zika area and we are doing our 3rd round of IVF in April, so don't want to risk it. We have opted for South Africa, avoiding malaria areas! Sri Lanka was the other that we considered. Thanks for ideas!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now