Talk

Advanced search

Miami, New York or Dubai -please vote!

(18 Posts)
popmimiboo Mon 09-Jan-17 14:10:32

With teenagers (17, 15 and 11) for a weekish in August?

Dubai looks easy -resort on beach, lots to do.
New York -3 days in city & 3-4 days in Cape Cod (to recover!)
Miami -city, beach, Everglades...

Help me decide...

SpecialFlowSnake Mon 09-Jan-17 15:01:52

New York & Cape Cod by a million miles! Did that trip with 5 teens and 3 younger kids in August 2007 and it was brilliant. Broadway show, Guggenheim (fab architecture/meh art), Empire State, Central Park, Battery Park and shopping over 2 nights. Then a week renting Cape house with pool in walkable small beachside town - incredible ice cream at Sundae School every day. Finished up with Boston where massive Museum of Science was fascinating for all.

Cost a packet but well worth it for memories as we were celebrating 6 landmark birthdays that month!

Miami is unbelievably sweaty and rainy that time of year. Not so much for teens to do and you will have to drive them everywhere. It's about a 4 hour drive to the big theme parks in Orlando.

(Have never been to Dubai but believe it will be about a zillion degrees in August.)

MagicChicken Mon 09-Jan-17 15:06:35

Don't go to Dubai in August. That would be UTTER madness. It's the time when everyone else who can afford to leaves.

Even if you think you can stand the heat, you need to factor in the humidity. It will be hellish.

MagicChicken Mon 09-Jan-17 15:07:11

Whereas the weather on the upper east coast of the states will be lovely.

Milklollies Mon 09-Jan-17 15:08:47

New York and cape cod! Both ny and cc will be lovely at that time of year.

NicknameUsed Mon 09-Jan-17 15:10:30

New York without a doubt

Oly5 Mon 09-Jan-17 15:11:29

New York and Cape Cod without a doubt. Did that same holiday a few years ago. Was fantastic

Moob Mon 09-Jan-17 15:15:20

I have been to all three and New York by an absolute mile (especially in August!!)

Pinkpeanut27 Mon 09-Jan-17 18:33:55

New York and miss out Cape cod! We did 12 days last summer with kids 6,13,13 and we still wish were were there now.
It's hot but loads of places are air conditioned , we might be odd but we found it way more relaxing than anywhere we've been before ! Didn't do absolutely everything but all the main stuff including a baseball game .

WhiskyAndTwiglets Mon 09-Jan-17 18:36:09

Lived in Dubai. Everyone leaves there in August. It's waaaaaaay too hot to do anything out of a nice air conditioned inside room!
Seriously. It's 50 degrees. That's why hotels are so cheap then. Not even those who love there want to go!

SpecialFlowSnake Mon 09-Jan-17 20:25:58

Did we help you decide? grin

SparklesandBangs Mon 09-Jan-17 20:29:19

Another vote for NY and The Cape

SparklesandBangs Mon 09-Jan-17 20:33:46

My answer was based on having 2 teenagers who wouldn't hesitate if asked to choose.

Oblomova Mon 09-Jan-17 20:40:10

If the choice was between Dubai in August and baging yourself repeatedly on the head with a spoon, I'd choose the latter without thinking twice. We used to live there, and August is so hot it's virtually impossible to be outdoors. Quite apart from it being a hellhole in other ways.

I'd opt for the whole time in NY. Cape Cod (also lived there for a while!) is lovely, but three days would be frustratingly short for NY, even in hot, humid weather.

Madbengalmum Mon 09-Jan-17 21:05:35

I wouldnt do any of these in August! All very unpleasant heat wise, wrong time of year for all of them.

Don't bother with Dubai between june and september as it is unbearably hot. New york can be equally as unpleasant heat wise.

lokisglowstickofdestiny1 Mon 09-Jan-17 21:11:18

New York but if it's your first time I'd spend all my time there, there's tons to do. Yes it can be very hot but everywhere is air conditioned and the skyscrapers give excellent shade. I coped much better in the heat of New York in August than Miami. Dubai has never been somewhere I've wanted to go, seems somewhat soulless.

popmimiboo Mon 09-Jan-17 21:30:04

Wow, I was expecting mixed reviews but it looks like the NY option is the winner!
My lizard teens are fretting that Cape Cod won't be hot enough, actually! We live in France and are used to hot summers but I'll rule out Dubai though -I'll re-think it for a future 1/2 term instead.

Oly5 Tue 10-Jan-17 19:40:43

I went to cape cod in June. Scorching

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now