Talk

Advanced search

9/11 Museum NYC

(10 Posts)
Jungfraujoch Sun 08-Jan-17 20:39:51

Anyone been and would recommend?

I'd like to visit the memorial but feel a bit 'odd' about the museum?

Jungfraujoch Sun 08-Jan-17 22:59:47

Bump

Pradaqueen Sun 08-Jan-17 23:01:45

I went with my then 8 year old just after it opened. It is a beautiful space. Not morbid and not sensationalist. Definitely go it is very moving. Age appropriate spaces if you are visiting with kids. We combined it with the Liberty island visit as it is that end of Manhattan.

maresedotes Sun 08-Jan-17 23:05:21

Agree with the poster above. I went last summer with my 14 year old. I thought it was sensitively done.

DanniiMinogue Sun 08-Jan-17 23:06:21

I went a couple of months ago - it was v v moving and to be honest without going into the museum, I don't think that I would've really been able to make sense of the memorials.

I know that sounds odd but having never seen the twin towers and not being able to get my head round the sheer size of the buildings or truly comprehend the number of people who sadly died, I think that the museum provided some more insight. Seeing the staircases, twisted metal, personal belongings of those who died, hearing the telephone conversations, the photos, the emergency teams stories was v important for me.

I would book in advance and allow at least 2 hours.

Shylo Sun 08-Jan-17 23:07:34

Hi

I went a couple of years ago before the site was fully open as it is now. I found the museum unbearably sad and left within a few minutes - my colleagues stayed and found it very moving but not at all mawkish ...... we all went to the memorial site, which I think is a beautiful tribute.

I'm not sure recomend is the right word; we went because our company lost people in the attacks and we wanted to go and pay tribute. It's very sobering for sure

originalmavis Sun 08-Jan-17 23:08:51

We didn't visit the museum but went to the memorial. It is breathtaking. I remember the actual day so clearly and knew people in the buildings/Pentagon/plane.

Pinkpeanut27 Mon 09-Jan-17 06:06:16

We went last year , the memorial was amazingly moving and we were both moved to tears. Couldn't imagine going to the museum it felt totally wrong with it being so recent. However we lived in NYC and left a year before it happened . We had friends caught up in it who were luckily ok. It felt too personal to us .

Jungfraujoch Mon 09-Jan-17 11:32:47

Thanks all for your comments - quite mixed. I can't quite put my finger on why I feel uncomfortable with the museum. We visited a village and museum in France which was completely wiped out by the Nazis and although very sad it seemed ok to wander amongst the ruins and view stuff in the museum. Maybe it's because 9/11 is more recent?

LAlady Mon 09-Jan-17 12:46:27

We went to the museum after it had just opened. With my 12 and 10 year old. It's obviously very emotional and really makes you think. As sad as it is, it is definitely worth seeing and makes the memorial afterwards even more moving.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now