Talk

Advanced search

Mexico AI

(18 Posts)
TSSDNCOP Sat 07-Jan-17 14:21:39

Any recommendations.

Planning last week July for 14 nights - is it rainy as well as hot? I can't understand why the price is dropping several hundred from the week before.

DS is 10 and a watersport/diving nut. DH and I are sun-bed veterans with many years experience and have a fear of lack of beds.

dnamummy Sat 14-Jan-17 23:21:25

I did AI at Dreams Tulum end July 2016 and was fantastic - we had a couple of rain storms go over (2 half days at most) and it was humid but I just took that as I sign I needed to relax more 😉

My DS loved so much he wants to go back next year to celebrate his exam success (got to admire his confidence!!)

TrickyD Mon 16-Jan-17 09:26:47

We took DS1 and his DCs to Mexico three years ago, but though we had a great holiday, everyone decided that they preferred the Dominican Republic. Though the DR is viewed a downmarket compared to other Caribbean destinations, in fact there are some fabulous hotels. DNAmummy suggests Dreams Tulum. If you really want to go to Mexico that is probably a very good suggestion, as Dreams are part of an excellent chain. I would also suggest your looking at Dreams La Romana in the DR and choosing the 'Family Preferred Club' option, pay a bit more but get your own pool and section of beach with plenty of sunbeds. Our sons enjoyed the diving. The hobbiecats and windsurfers are included, lots to do for kids. Our lot love it so much that we are returning for an unprecedented third time this summer.

dnamummy Mon 16-Jan-17 09:54:36

Tricky - I loved Dreams for being truly AI - any restaurant whenever we wanted and we did preferred too for the swim up room and private beach which were both lovely. Does the DM Dreams AI operate to same standards? If so may consider trying and saving ourselves a few hours each way flying time✈️🙂

TrickyD Mon 16-Jan-17 10:14:05

Yes, the same standards apart from swim-up rooms though I have read on the DR. Trip Advisor forum that they are being introduced. However our Fam. Pref. rooms were about six metres from the private pool so we were very happy. We also liked having our own bar and the clubhouse with all day canapes, coffee and drinks, plus the lovely dedicated concierges who looked after guests, nothing too much trouble. Is the flight much shorter than to Mexico though? I can't remember how long Mexico was, but to Punta Cana is about 9 1/2 hours, transfer about 40 minutes.

Tequilamockinbird Mon 16-Jan-17 10:18:58

Another vote for Dreams. Fabulous resorts and service.

TrickyD Mon 16-Jan-17 11:26:43

TSS or DNA, if you do decide on Dreams La Romana for two weeks from the last week in July, you will have the dubious privilege of being there at the same time as the Tricky family.

dnamummy Mon 16-Jan-17 11:56:51

We will be looking at 2018 unfortunately - this summer is all tied up in activities to try to make DS,s cv look like something a university might find appealing! (Would love to swap though!😎)

mouldycheesefan Mon 16-Jan-17 14:52:57

Another vote for dreams tulum. Don't do dreams riviera it isn't a patch in the dreams tulum.

dnamummy Mon 16-Jan-17 15:12:06

TSS - if you do end up doing Tulum the one recommendation I would make is to do the snorkelling with whale sharks - we really debated as it means getting up very early (think it was a 6am pick up from memory) then a couple of hours up the coast in mini bus and another couple of hours out on boat, BUT then you can free dive with free running whale sharks! I have video of my DS and I in water with 50 of them! Will live in my brain as one of my top ten life experiences and sure your DS would feel same! If you do go aim for day after full moon if at all possible as the fish spawn and therefore max number of whales in area. (Photos show the beautiful sea on the boat trip and one of the pools at Dreams - would seem to match your DS & your needs!)

AlbusPercival Mon 16-Jan-17 15:19:20

Sensator Mexico

Truly ai, even room service is included

mouldycheesefan Tue 17-Jan-17 12:04:24

@dnamummy who did you book the whale shark trip with please?
Were there any facilities on the boat, can kids go in the water? Are the whale sharks dangerous?

Tequilamockinbird Tue 17-Jan-17 14:47:52

DH and DD did the whale shark trip 2 years ago and absolutely loved it. The whale sharks are not dangerous and you swim right alongside them. Take a GoPro or similar if you go.

It was on DD's bucket list but she now wants to swim with great whites <eeeek>.

Trip was booked through First Choice, our tour operator. It was about £200 per person IIRC.

Patriciathestripper1 Tue 17-Jan-17 14:53:44

Have a look at the Riu hotels (can highly recommend the riu yucatan) 24hr room service (not that you would need It)
fully AI and propper mini bar in all rooms re stocked daily.

Patriciathestripper1 Tue 17-Jan-17 14:54:21

Oh and large range of water sports all included....

lovelearning Tue 17-Jan-17 15:00:39

Derail alert. TSSDNCOP, I got a great kick out of listening to this song whilst sailing through Mexico. Have a fantastic time. Viva Mexico.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQnHAb_6sOs

dnamummy Tue 17-Jan-17 17:54:07

As tequila says, the whale sharks are harmless - they are plankton feeders. In fact you can do them more damage through chemical poisoning which is why you cannot wear chemical sun block so you need to rely on long sleeved and legged clothes, a good hat, sunglasses and non-chemical sun block (sold in most Mexican resort shops)

There are lots of operators - you can book through your tour guide, your hotel/resort or directly

We were very keen to go on a particular day (first day after full moon) so we actually booked on-line months in advance to. E sure of getting it, but actually we could have chilled on that a bit and sorted out once we arrived

In my past I was a qualified PADI dive master (pre kids) but this snorkelling trip with the whales would still count as one of my best experiences so hope your DS loves it (if he has his own snorkel kit he can take it, but if not the loan kit was good quality/condition) and if your group are all in hire wet suits it can be hard to spot in video so use a glow stick or coloured tshirt over your wet suit

There are toilets and small snack shack at jetty before boat departs so use them. The boats will usually do water on way out to whales and after then a civiche and beer/ soft drink lunch in shallow water on way back. No toilets but sure your diver DS will explain water peeing!

If he has any questions please ask

Azure Wed 18-Jan-17 06:46:30

We went to Dreams Tulum a couple of years ago and my boys loved it so much we went to Dreams Palm Beach in DR last year. Eldest got his PADI certificate there. Both times we hired cars for a few days and took side trips (to Chichen Itza etc in Mexico and Santo Domingo in DR).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now