Talk

Advanced search

Travel insurance for dc with sn

(6 Posts)
itsallbollocks Sat 07-Jan-17 09:58:07

We are travelling to the US with 5yo ds. He has some developmental delays, which means that he is more like a 3 year old in his manner. He has incontinence issues, dyspraxia and can lack awareness in his own body and space around him. Does this affect travel insurance does any one know? I want to ensure that we have proper coverage, as I know that the hospital bills in the US could bankrupt us. I tried to bring this up before when we travelled with in Europe, and the insurance company just told me to not mention anything, and they wouldn't cover him any way. Any experience of this please? I hope that we don't need medical attention in America, but accidents could happen.

lokisglowstickofdestiny1 Sat 07-Jan-17 10:02:31

You should disclose to the insurer, they will then decide whether to offer cover. They are likely to exclude any treatment that is impacted by his conditions. If for example you were to be involved in a car accident I think it unlikely that they would refuse to cover treatment for him as it wouldn't be related to his conditions.

itsallbollocks Sat 07-Jan-17 10:18:04

Thanks, that's what I thought. It shouldn't really affect anything, but I want to make sure that we have proper coverage.

TrickyD Tue 17-Jan-17 11:08:17

As Lokis, says, you must disclose. Then they will probably offer cover for your DS, but if it is very expensive you may be given the option to cover for every other contingency, such as an accident, but not things specifically related to your DS's condition.
However, if you don't disclose, they may refuse unrelated claims - just because they can!

mummymeister Tue 17-Jan-17 11:33:43

We are insured with Columbus who take into account our special conditions. the best thing to do is to declare absolutely everything and then let the insurer decide whether you are covered or not. you wouldn't want to be in a situation where you didn't declare and then need to claim but they refused on the grounds that they didn't know everything. some insurance companies do try and wriggle out even if the condition has nothing to do really with the claim.

TrickyD Tue 17-Jan-17 23:07:12

It would be very useful if the comparison sites included a score for an insurance company's propensity for wriggling out.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now