Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

UNITED AIRLINES - are they good or bad with children? Similarly, Qantas.

(27 Posts)
SittingBull Tue 20-Feb-07 22:36:58

Message withdrawn

moondog Tue 20-Feb-07 22:38:45

I've flown loads of airlines and tbh they are all the same.

SittingBull Tue 20-Feb-07 22:42:56

Message withdrawn

moondog Tue 20-Feb-07 22:44:33

OMG!!!
I don't envy you one bit.

Back seat screens a MUST THEN EH???

SittingBull Tue 20-Feb-07 22:48:02

Message withdrawn

moondog Tue 20-Feb-07 22:49:06

Hmmmmm

Drugs???

(For all of you)

SittingBull Tue 20-Feb-07 22:55:30

Message withdrawn

ediemay Tue 20-Feb-07 23:06:23

Have done a lot of longhaul with DS. I recommend Singapore as the best by far. Others which I have found good are Emirates, Virgin, Cathay Pacific and Qantas. Have only flown United to the USA and they were OK but I would say Qantas would be better. Best entertainment systems are Singapore and Emirates, then Virgin. Avoid BA and KLM.

SittingBull Tue 20-Feb-07 23:16:50

Message withdrawn

ediemay Tue 20-Feb-07 23:18:49

Hi SB, I've only flown with them once but have heard good things and Trailfinders seem to be using them a lot now.

ediemay Tue 20-Feb-07 23:21:20

Gulf Air have Sky Nannies but I doubt if they fly SF-Sydney

eidsvold Wed 21-Feb-07 05:50:44

United suck - hate them with a passion in case the first two words of this post do not show that.

When I first flew with them - cabin crew were rude and incredibly horrid to the children I was flying with - part of a huge contingent of aussie teenagers who flew with united as part of a cultural exchange. They were very aggressive to our students and blamed them for a number of things that they did not do - including smoking in the toilets - when the adult culprit was discovered - no apology to our students.

Other horrid things arose from our trip with them - just YUCK!!

I decided to give them a second chance and flew internal with them from LA to Seattle. again very rude and unhelpful cabin crew. I was told I could not have a snack and drink when I awoke from a jet lag sleep because you know - you snooze, you lose!!! I was gobsmacked - this was not said in jest by any means. The american woman next to me was so embarrassed by his behaviour that she gave him a mouthful about his rude behaviour and how he was an embarrassment to not only the airline but to the US and how she would be complaining about him.

I have never flown them since despite flying a number of times to the US and within the US.

American airlines are brilliant - have amongst the largest seat pitch.

Singapore are fabulous too.

Qantas were good also.

Air New Zealand - brilliant too.

eidsvold Wed 21-Feb-07 05:51:39

have friends who travel to the US a lot and have done since their boys were little - swear by Air New Zealand. ( Aus to US that is)

SittingBull Wed 21-Feb-07 06:07:56

Message withdrawn

dejags Wed 21-Feb-07 06:45:01

Another Air NZ convert here - fabulous airline!!!

AttilaTheMeerkat Wed 21-Feb-07 07:35:22

I would concur with eidsvoid - United suck. They are not great with children transatlantic and can be at times truly awful. Old planes and indifferent staff seem to be the norm with them. Have used them for both transatlantic and internal US flights - no longer.

If you can go the other around and head east to go to Aus I'd do that instead. Transitting through the US on the way to Australia is not for the faint of heart (not suggesting you are by the way but because of the sheer bureaucracy involved in being in the US as a transit pax. You will need to complete a customs form and most certainly a visa waiver form for both you and your children. As you are not regarded as being in the US proper you have no access to anything like a shop or restaurant or anywhere to freshen up in).

BTW Air NZ fly through LAX (another airport well worth avoiding especially esoecially if you are in transit to Aus. Its very grim, that transit lounge). Air NZ's website have a set procedure for their pax to follow if you are in transit to Aus via LAX. Avoid that route at all costs.

To my mind Virgin are not as innovative/good an airline as they once were when they started out. Other airlines have copied and superceded them in terms of service.

skirmish Wed 21-Feb-07 10:32:03

just jumping onto this thread...does anyone have experience of gulf air and sky nannies??

hannahsaunt Wed 21-Feb-07 10:46:10

Go Qantas. We have done that trip in reverse - it's a long one! We have flown United and American Airlines - both awful and will not use again if it can be helped. Qantas are fab though.

SittingBull Sat 24-Feb-07 04:24:54

Message withdrawn

AttilaTheMeerkat Sat 24-Feb-07 08:12:27

What route have you booked?.

SittingBull Sat 24-Feb-07 16:18:36

Message withdrawn

Pavlovthecat Sat 24-Feb-07 16:21:20

I know u booked but AA are not v good with small children, esp if you have a stop, they have a habit of just leaving you stranded. Unless they majorly majorly mess up, then they upgrade to business if u get a nice lady (might havee been the airport location rather than the co.)

FairyBasslet Sat 24-Feb-07 16:53:45

Have flown AA and BA to the States and must say both were absolutely fine. AA gave us an extra seat on a flight to San Francisco for our then 8 month old DS so we could pop him in his car seat. And when we flew to New York last year with DS now 3 and DD 8 months with BA we couldn't fault them. I guess it may depend on the individual crew at the time.

Pavlovthecat Sat 24-Feb-07 16:55:09

flown BA, they are great. AA offrered an extra seat for our LO, cost a full ticket so we had her on ou laps at £130.

SittingBull Mon 26-Feb-07 05:50:42

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now