Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

terrified of flying - any advice to help get through a long haul?

(37 Posts)
DimpledThighs Sun 18-Feb-07 22:32:13

Trip to Japan and no backing out. Do you have any advice for someone who is pertrified of flying? I have done a short trip to greece as practice after not flying for ten years but I had to take loads of tranqs and was zonked.

Now to Japan for work thing so need to be on the ball and not look like a scardey pants wuss.

Any tips most grateful. My particular fear is the notion of being 'hemmed in' (can only sit on aisle seats in theatre FFS!)

granarybeck Sun 18-Feb-07 22:40:11

i can't be of much help as can't say i've conquered my fear (terror) of flying, but, I had hypnotherapy and it did get me onto a short flight without knoccking myself out with alcohol or tranqs.

Am becoming quite desperate to sort my own fear out, so will watch thread with interest.

I actually think being with colleagues and being forced to control fear in front of them may in itself help?

granarybeck Sun 18-Feb-07 22:45:00

I do rememeber a thread about someone scared of flying making a trip to canada and asking for a very immediatly gripping novel to distract her on the flight. I thought quite a good idea if your fear isn't too bad.

sunnydelight Tue 20-Feb-07 13:23:15

You probably already know this, but both BA and Virgin run courses for people who are afraid of flying. If you type "fear of flying" into Google you can get details. I forced myself to confront my arachnaphobia recently as it was becoming a really big issue in our imminent move to Oz. The big thing for me was realising that I never have to like them, or want them crawling all over me, I just need to be able to not have hysterics if I see one, and be able to get close enough to throw a bowl over it, squash it, etc. If you can convince yourself that the flight to Japan is something you just have to get through, you don't have to enjoy it, just pass the time, you WILL be able to do it

fizzbuzz Tue 20-Feb-07 13:31:19

Will also be watching this thread with interest, am totally pissed off at being scared of flying.

In my 20's I had a job which sent me all over the world,with lots of long haul flights.
Fear has got worse as I have got older, as feel I have used up all my chances in the past.[hmmm]

Practically everyone I know is scared of it, think it must be a survival type thing.

fifiandtheflowertots Tue 20-Feb-07 14:48:55

Ive just come back from NY and im terrified of flying especially taking off. I find myself having a panicking and hyperventilating but this time i bought some kalms before i flew.
I also took a good book and watched a film while we were onboard and found that i was ok if i kept myself occupied.
Mind you we had ds who is 10 months with us so he kept us busy as well

aDad Tue 20-Feb-07 15:00:37

I think you just got your dose wrong last time. I'd see your doctor.

BecauseImWorthIt Tue 20-Feb-07 18:55:33

You can make sure you get an aisle seat when you book - and if you're going for work hopefully you're flying business so won't be quite so hemmed in.

From what I understand, knowledge about flying can help you. i.e. knowing what is going on when you take off, what the changing engine noises mean, etc.

Sounds like a course would definitely help you.

wilkie50 Tue 20-Feb-07 18:58:57

I found this site absolutely fantastic. I was terrified of flying (due to turbulance) so I printed off the page of Q&As and read it when I felt anxious on the flight and it has pretty much cured me.

Worth a try?

Chandra Tue 20-Feb-07 19:01:02

I think that there were workshops in Heathrow to help people overcome their fear of flying.

NLP may help too.

pollyanna Tue 20-Feb-07 19:04:18

I did the BA fear of flying course (run by Aviatours) - it was fantastic and cured me of my fear.

alcyone Tue 20-Feb-07 19:04:27

excellent site wilkie50....thanks will try that.

snorkle Tue 20-Feb-07 19:49:27

Message withdrawn

NadineBaggott Tue 20-Feb-07 19:51:34

hmmm yes, I'm off on my first longhaul next week, also have a fear of flying. I'm not looking forward to it one bit!

Off to have a good read of wilkie's link .....

fizzbuzz Tue 20-Feb-07 20:11:41

My fear is crashing, not flying!

NadineBaggott Tue 20-Feb-07 20:27:09

er, well yes

fizzbuzz Tue 20-Feb-07 20:33:45

Hmmm haven't explained myself very well!

Am not bothered by any specific thing like taking off or turbulence, whereas a lot of people seem to be able to pinpoint one thing.....Oh God, brain is completely dead. Up with teething Dd ALL night...can't explain
myself properly.

<crawls away into small hole>

alcyone Tue 20-Feb-07 20:39:22

Think i know where you are coming from....possibly.
I don't have any specific fears, and i understand the whole 'safest way to travel' business...............it's the gut churning, insomnia inducing, irrational, fear of feeling terrified.
Cool! Is that right?

NadineBaggott Tue 20-Feb-07 20:46:11

taking off, landing, middle bit, all susceptible to crashing!

lazyline Tue 20-Feb-07 20:46:21

I have no idea why I am scared of flying. I flew as a teenager no problem. I don't find the idea scary, I could book a flight today and have no issues. But then I get on the plane. It's ridiculous. I know all the logical stuff, but when I step off a plane I feel like I have been lucky to come away with my life. How ridiculous!

Hassled Tue 20-Feb-07 20:49:55

My top advice is a) sit in left hand row b)get aisle seat c) have gin and tonic (but only one) asap. As long as I do these things the plane doesn't crash, and I even managed a flight to New York following the rules. I was petrified all the way, but still, the plane didn't crash

fizzbuzz Tue 20-Feb-07 20:50:52

Quite agree lazyline, and also will not go to loo on plane because

a) will get sucked out into stratosphere
b) my willpower alone is keeping that plane up, and if I leave my seat ^it will know!!^

fizzbuzz Tue 20-Feb-07 20:51:37

**** whole message ruined by complete failure of italics

NadineBaggott Tue 20-Feb-07 20:53:10

on long haul though you really need to be getting up and stretching cos if the plane don't kill you the dvt might

JodieG1 Tue 20-Feb-07 20:53:44

I'm scared of flying too and don't fly anymore. As a teen I was fine and went away once with a friend to Ibiza when I was 19 and since then haven't flown. Me and dh (bf at the time) went to Lisbon on holiday and had to get the ferry to Bilbao (day and a half) and then drive about 600 miles (I think it was) into Lisbon both ways. I'd rather do that than fly. I have a fear of heights so bad that I can't even go above about 4 or 5 floors in a building, also slightly claustophobic (can't go in lifts alone) and hate the feeling of not being able to get off if I need to. I suppose that doesn't help me really. I would love to get over my fear but can't see it happening.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now