Talk

Advanced search

Singapore airlines to Australia - is premium economy worth paying for?

(39 Posts)
BIWI Sun 18-Dec-16 17:10:34

I'm hoping to go for a quick visit to family; because I won't be there for very long, I thought it would be good to make the flights themselves as pleasant as possible grin

Singapore airlines are offering the best flight times, and it will be just shy of £1400 economy or £2300 premium economy.

Is it worth paying the extra? I've heard good things about Singapore airlines, but never flown them before. I was wondering if their economy service would be good enough?

SausageD0g Sun 18-Dec-16 17:12:55

Singapore Airlines are amazing. I wouldn't fly anyone else to Australia now and would pay a bit more to do so. We also plan quite a long stop at Singapore to get some sleep and enjoy swimming in the airport, free tour of Singapore etc.

I've only ever flown economy (and survived!) so no idea about the difference. We couldn't have afforded it. If it's not a lot of money to you it's a long flight, so maybe anything that makes the flight more pleasant?

NinjaPosse Sun 18-Dec-16 17:17:24

How long will you be going for? If it's a very short visit I think I would pay the extra to make the travel more bearable. If it's more than just a few days I'd personally save the money and go economy.

BIWI Sun 18-Dec-16 17:19:26

I'll be going for about 9 or 10 days I think.

I can afford it, but if I don't need to, then why spend the money?!

80sWaistcoat Sun 18-Dec-16 17:22:18

I flew long haul with Singapore airlines last year and managed to book the bulkhead seats, the ones where a bassinet would be if there was a baby. No extra cost but loads more leg room. I'd do that again, had to log in early to book them though.

NinjaPosse Sun 18-Dec-16 17:23:03

I think for 9 or 10 days I would feel the same as you. 'If I don't need to then why spend the money.'

I don't think premium economy generally is significantly better, not better enough to make it worth the extra money it costs. I haven't flown with Singapore Airlines for over 10 years though, so I don't have recent experience.

If it was business class for that amount of extra cost, I'd be saying go for it!

Hope you enjoy your trip smile

BIWI Sun 18-Dec-16 17:55:46

Ah yes. If only I could afford to pay for business class!!!
Thanks

ihatethecold Sun 18-Dec-16 17:58:49

We flew to Bangkok on Thai airways and were given bassinet seats.
We had loads of room.
On the way back we were upgraded to PE.
the only difference was the seats were upstairs in a much smaller section.
Quieter so we could sleep easier but not worth paying for.

BIWI Sun 18-Dec-16 18:01:59

But what I'm asking, ihatethecold, is if Singapore airlines is any better - I know that sometimes PE isn't worth paying for on some airlines, but I haven't any experience of Singapore airlines!

JasperPotato Sun 18-Dec-16 18:06:29

Singapore Airlines are great. I prefer Cathay but don't often get deals for them anymore.

If you're tall and struggle to get comfortable and sleep on the plane then book PE. If you're compact and don't struggle to sleep/pop a sleeping tablet then spend that significant sum of money at the other end.

Changi has some good facilities that are free too, depending on how long you're there.

They have a Singapore Sling premix which I usually drink for the first 6 hours of the flight smile

Safe trip!

BIWI Sun 18-Dec-16 18:08:42

How about being short and struggle to sleep on a plane?! grin

JasperPotato Sun 18-Dec-16 18:13:38

You can look on their website to see what you actually get for the extra money. It's shows the seats etc. There's also a website that gives a breakdown of the seats on every type of aircraft. I only know this because DH is 6'5" and we have to consult it before booking a flight over 5hrs long.

JasperPotato Sun 18-Dec-16 18:14:59

Biwi, apart from sleeping tablets I have no idea what to suggest!

BIWI Sun 18-Dec-16 18:15:33

Yes - seatguru? I've had a quick look on there. And also on Singapore airline's website - they talk about PE seats reclining a 'generous 8 inches' hmm, but there's no reference to any recline at all in the section on economy seating.

BIWI Sun 18-Dec-16 18:16:35

Last time we went to Oz we flew Qantas, and managed perfectly well in economy. So I know it's doable. But I'd quite like a bit of luxury - but only if I get the luxury by paying a lot more of my own money!

JasperPotato Sun 18-Dec-16 18:18:23

Also, if you can book with anyone that will get you on an A380, heartily recommend you do that. Quieter, slightly larger seats and just an overall more comfortable flight. Even if you fly economy, there's a small section on the top deck where you don't feel like you're in economy.

BIWI Sun 18-Dec-16 18:19:53

Ah that's definitely worth knowing! I can't remember what plane they're flying on that route, but I'll check that out. Thanks

JasperPotato Sun 18-Dec-16 18:20:25

Sorry, xposting with you.

I just looked at the Singapore PE spec and the lady in the seat looks very comfortable with her feet up, but she's obviously in the front row! Can't see how the leg support/footrest does much for the seat behind! grin

JasperPotato Sun 18-Dec-16 18:24:05

When I flew to Oz this time last year, Singapore didn't have any A380s in their fleet. Things may have changed though.

BIWI Sun 18-Dec-16 18:27:58

It looks like one of the flights uses an A380, but the rest are Boeing 777s

SausageD0g Sun 18-Dec-16 18:32:59

We flew a380 to Singapore on one of our legs but it was a few years ago. We sat upstairs too and I had a peek at their amazing first class little "rooms" on the way off!!

JasperPotato Sun 18-Dec-16 18:42:16

Yes, the A380 flights are usually London to <insert far-east hub> leg. Never seen one that goes to Syd or Mel.

SausageD0g Sun 18-Dec-16 21:17:47

Googled and Singapore Airlines still have plenty of a380s. Daily routes Singapore to London /London to Singapore legs (the longer leg!)

Google also says Singapore aren't renewing all their leases though so presumably there will be less of them

SausageD0g Sun 18-Dec-16 21:21:42

www.singaporeair.com/jsp/cms/en_UK/promotions/a380.jsp

Also to Sydney but we went to Melbourne.

Didn't go in one last trip though as the timing (to get a full day in singapore) was more important. Always been lovely flying Singapore Airlines though. dreams wistfully even though I can't help with your question!!

BIWI Sun 18-Dec-16 21:40:24

grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now