Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Pacific Northwest

(9 Posts)
Teds77 Sat 17-Dec-16 17:26:14

Lots of tips on old threads but still interested in any tips and suggestions for Washington State and the Oregon coast next Summer. We'll fly in and out of Seattle and have about 15/16 days flight-free. Looking at Seattle, Portland, San Juan Islands, Olympic NP, Oregon coast Mt Hood and MT Rainier though not necessarily all or in that order!

We'll have two five year olds who are pretty good at being persuaded to go walking!

I don't know if it's the current exchange rate but lots of accommodation seems so expensive at a glance. Any recommendations appreciated!

Thanks.

lovelyupnorth Fri 23-Dec-16 16:14:55

If you want to keep the flight cost down look at westjet into Calgary then onward. Also means you can clear us customs and immigration in Canada - much quicker and less stressful.

Umirrific Fri 23-Dec-16 16:19:20

Astoria on the Oregon coast is lovely. Really nice beaches and the Goonie house is there.

Teds77 Fri 23-Dec-16 17:07:21

Just managed to get decent priced Seattle flights in the BA sale. Feels organised to have that booked! Will look at Astoria.

Thanks!

Cocochops Fri 30-Dec-16 16:44:40

Hi we spent 3 weeks in Oregon this summer with 3yo and 5yo. Mainly stayed in air B and Bs and z few motels. Highly recommend Portland, Mount hood and the coast, crater lake also stunning. Just be aware coast weather can be a but iffy but still very beautiful.

Travel was easy eating was easy and we pre booked accommodation before we went, We had a fab time fee free to pm with any questions

BeanCalledPickle Sat 07-Jan-17 21:18:41

My favourite bit of the world! We flew to Seattle and had a couple of days there, then drive up to the Boeing factory. Was fantastic. From there the boat over to the Olympic peninsula, drive to port Angeles. Up to hurricane ridge from there for some mountains! Day trip on boat to Victoria in Canada! Then onwards round the peninsula to forks - of twilight fame- then stay in one of the forest lodges. We drove down as far south as canon beach which is just beautiful.

Then inwards to Portland which is a superb city. We then went north back to Seattle but with more time I would have gone down to crater lake.

Teds77 Sun 08-Jan-17 07:54:07

Thanks Cocochops and and Bean!

Really wanted to go back to the States after a great time in California last year but wasn't totally convinced this was the best location - your posts are getting me excited that it will be great!

I've had Crater Lake recommended in 'real life' too but I'm just not sure we can fit it in without really rushing other places. Will have a look again...

Mamia15 Sun 08-Jan-17 09:15:40

It's a beautiful part of America - it can be rainy as well as sunny so bring waterproofs!
I would recommend staying in Seattle for a few days and don't forget that Washington state/Oregon have national parks and the twilight films were filmed in this area. Lots of nice hikes taking in waterfalls etc.
The coast is stunning (Newport is a good base).
Re accommodation - trying booking suites or aparthotels which have mini kitchens and washing machines that way you can do your own breakfast and the occasional easy meal to save money.

BeanCalledPickle Sun 08-Jan-17 22:10:45

You could always just keep heading south and then fly back to Seattle before home. Money will dictate a lot of your choices I'd imagine! Stay in the Mark Spencer in Portlandsmile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now