Talk

Advanced search

What have I forgotten?

(8 Posts)
Titsalinabumsquash Wed 30-Nov-16 14:21:47

We're taking the kids to Florida for Christmas; first time they've flown or been out of the UK.

I'm panicking that something will go awfully wrong!
I've got a document folder with passports, birth certificates, insurance details, flight details, DS's fit to fly letter and prescription, a letter from ex p giving the kids permission to leave the country and all flight details.

Obviously I need to pack but there's laundry facilities in the villa.
What else do I need to do?

Do I need dollars or can I pay for everything on a debit card?

I will pack plug adaptors for hair straightened etc.

I can't help feeling there's something I've overlooked. confused

Be gentle I've only ever travelled with someone else doing all the planning and sorting. blush

OP’s posts: |
tribpot Wed 30-Nov-16 14:29:58

I would take some dollars and investigate the best option for paying for stuff whilst in the US. I use a Halifax Clarity card as doesn't charge a fee for overseas transactions.

I would have a think about what you want to have with you on the flight - put some thought into that, what luggage you want to carry, travel pillows and so on.

Do you know what your transport arrangements are for when you land? What about how you're getting to the airport?

Have you applied for the ESTA visa waiver for everyone? Don't delay on that just in case of any hold-up.

Do you know what clothes you need to take? Are you sorted for suncream, mosquito stuff (if needed for Florida), do you have a travel first aid kit with all the usual bits and bobs in?

Will there be food at the villa when you arrive, or do you need to think about how to acquire some?

Titsalinabumsquash Wed 30-Nov-16 17:01:43

It's a Starlight Wish holiday and they've arranged transport from the airport to the village. I've booked transport to and from the airport.

There's food in the villa and I'm not sure we'll need sunscreen it's not warm there this time of year, I'll look into Mosquitos!

Thanks

MrsCaecilius Fri 02-Dec-16 14:24:12

I'd always take some dollars just in case and have at least 2 cards that work in the States (credit and debit?) again, in case one gets swallowed by a machine.

Scan or photograph all your passports and vital info and email them to yourself (or add to a dropbox or cloudbased system) so that if the worst happened and you lost them you can still access them online.

If its a Starlight holiday I am sure there will be people there who can help you if you find out you've missed something. Have a really wonderful tine and make loads of memories.

specialsubject Mon 05-Dec-16 13:16:39

Temperature irrelevant to sun strength. You need sunscreen

IJustWantABrew Mon 05-Dec-16 13:45:33

Definitely take cash! You will find that the exchange rate will change constantly so you will end up spending a four time. Also if you do use your card let your bank know the dates your going to be out there so they don't block your card. Again cash will be handy if you lose your card.
Pack a hand luggage bag for your dc and include things for them to do on the plane.
Don't forget to take any medication that either you or your dc may need.
Might be worth investing in some padlocks for your luggage for security whilst your away.

Titsalinabumsquash Sun 11-Dec-16 19:48:07

Only a few days to go! I have padlocks for luggage and I will exchange some money and let the bank know we'll be away so we don't get fraud investigation freezing our cards.
DS has been given a final fit to fly (we had to jump through many hoops!)
I have no clue what to take for DD for the plane, all the boys have a DS/tablet etc and books but she is 19 months old and her hobbies include climbing and milk! She will be sitting on either me or DP for the flight, can I take snacks for her?

I'm so nervous that I've forgotten something!

lljkk Sun 11-Dec-16 20:15:08

Every time I travel on a plane it amazes me that I have all the required.
Remember no liquids in hand luggage. That one catches me out.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in