Talk

Advanced search

BA, VS or CX to HKG?

(15 Posts)
MarcoPoloCX Fri 25-Nov-16 08:23:17

I have flown with these airlines before to Hong Kong in economy but business only with CX.

I'm planning to go again next year for a special occasion and was thinking of flying First.
Which of these would you go with?
Also I have not been on A380 before.

Stopyourhavering Sat 26-Nov-16 17:19:32

Where are you flying from?.... What about Emirates? A380 on many routes and business class is fabulous

ShanghaiDiva Sun 27-Nov-16 08:20:35

I would choose cathay. Check that there is first class on the plane as some cx routes only offer economy, premium economy and business, no first.
My mum has flown with cathay from London via HK to Sidney and that was an A380, but she was in business, not first class.

LordRothermereBlackshirtCunt Sun 27-Nov-16 08:27:30

Cathay. BA is rapidly turning itself into a low cost carrier.

Meadows76 Sun 27-Nov-16 08:33:20

I would go virgin simply because they use a 787 and the other 2 are 777.

Meadows76 Sun 27-Nov-16 08:34:52

My mum has flown with cathay from London via HK to Sidney and that was an A380 Cathay don't have A380 aircraft. Perhaps it was a codeshare with another airline?

ShanghaiDiva Sun 27-Nov-16 09:15:09

Meadows - oops - may have been a code share! We are in China so only met her in HK on her return trip so assumed her flight was cathay all the way through.

twinmamma2b Sun 27-Nov-16 09:28:47

I'm pretty sure only BA do direct flights to HKG on A380s. There's the option of Emirates too but not direct.

Meadows76 Sun 27-Nov-16 09:31:15

777 for BA to Hong Kong

Meadows76 Sun 27-Nov-16 09:33:14

Assuming LHR that is, which i did as OP specified Cathay, virgin and BA. Apologies OP if you are flying from a different airport?

MarcoPoloCX Sun 27-Nov-16 14:22:17

Flying direct from LHR.
Only BA flies the A380 but if the service and experience is better with the other two, then I'd go with them.

LordRothermereBlackshirtCunt Sun 27-Nov-16 14:30:13

Check out the BA board on Flyertalk. Lots of longstanding business and first class travellers very unhappy with the current CEO's penny pinching, and moving their custom elsewhere. BA staff are also currently voting on strike action in the new year.

Meadows76 Sun 27-Nov-16 14:59:39

OP i apologise, I just checked and see that one of the flights is operated by an A380.

I would do the BA for the A380, but can you possibly book single tix and come back by virgin or Cathay?

Kirriemuir Sun 27-Nov-16 17:37:38

I did business to HK on Cathay. It was ok. Wasn't brilliant. BA to Singapore were better but that was 3-4 years ago now. The only airline I di like is virgin.

Have a look at videos on you tube for the airlines. I can lose hours and hours doing that!!

KeyserSophie Mon 05-Dec-16 06:17:02

I live in HK so do this route fairly often, usually in business (never first so cant comment on that). BA do sometimes use the A380 on that route, but not always.

I tend to choose Cathay because I find BA very inconsistent. I have had the best and the worst crews of my life on BA (so you get a 2 or a 9) whereas Cathay hover around an 8 I'd say. Also, living in HK I have a preference for Cathay airmiles, but that would probably be irrelevant for you.

What may be relevant is that Cathay have more flights (4/5 a day vs 2 for BA) so you may be able to get a better price if you can fly at one of the less popular times- I often get airmile freebee flights on the day flights from HK.

Against that, the food on cathay tends to be more Asian so if you're not a fan, may have more choices on BA.

Snack trolley equally good on both :-)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now