Talk

Advanced search

San Fransisco hotel recommendations

(8 Posts)
GlitterIsTheEnemy Fri 11-Nov-16 23:06:18

Looking to go to San Fransisco next summer for a few nights, with teen Dd.

Been having a look at hotels and I think we probably either want to be around the wharf or around union sq. Any recommendations for reasonable priced hotels would be great. The prices seem to really vary.

Also looking to hire a car and do a few days along the coast. Presuming it's not worth hiring for the days spent in San Fran? Is it easy enough to get around?

JWIM Sat 12-Nov-16 13:41:44

We have stayed at the Argonaut near Ghiradelli Sq and on the water front. Not the cheapest but lovely.

Getting around is easy from there - at the end of the best cable car line. Short walk to the tram along the waterfront/Embarcadero that ends near the shops/Union Sq. Taxis readily available too.
Have a great trip.

rookiemere Sun 13-Nov-16 10:16:39

I stayed here www.wsisf.com on a recent trip and really liked it. The rooms have a European feel, the bed was super comfy, I enjoyed breakfast brought to my room and in the afternoons they have homemade cookies, then cheese and wine about 5pm.

It's in a good location - about 10 mins walk to Fisherman's wharf one way and 10 mins to Union Square the other way, but as it faces on to a small park, it feels quite relaxed after going round the city. It also felt very safe as you had to use your key card to access the building. Good wifi as well. Within walking distance of some great restaurants as it's in the Italian quarter - if you like garlic The Stinking Rose is worth a trip

I'd strongly recommend not hiring a car whilst you're in San Francisco - I found most places walkable ( was up super early with jet lag anyway) and you'll also want to do the famous cable car ride which will help you to get round as well.

GlitterIsTheEnemy Mon 14-Nov-16 19:25:35

Thanks both, great advice. The argonaut is sold out for my dates, it has been recommended to me by a friend of a friend also. I'll check out the other recommendation, thank you!

GinSolvesEverything Wed 16-Nov-16 10:12:41

I stayed at the Hotel Carlton a few months ago. About a 5-10 min walk to Union Square, and also a block from buses and trolleys. Also v close to a Trader Joe's and lots of bars and restaurants, including one called the LihoLiho Yacht Club which is amazing.

Much nicer to be in that part of town too than fishermans wharf.

Hotel was v reasonable, free wifi, drinks hour, and recently renovated too. Definitely a good option

Kirriemuir Fri 18-Nov-16 06:58:55

I second the argonaut hotel. Lovely. Don't know if they still do it but they used to do complimentary cheese and wine at around 5 pm 2-3 days a week. Lovely loccitanne products in the bathroom too.

iwanttoridemybicycle Fri 18-Nov-16 23:35:59

We stayed at the wharf inn. Location was great. Beds v comfy. Nothing special but it's all about location.

Dancergirl Tue 22-Nov-16 20:43:18

We stayed at the Hotel Zephyr in SF. Great location - a few mins walk to Pier 39.

You don't need a car, it's very easy to get around.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now