What airline to avoid- USA

(33 Posts)
bitofabelly Fri 04-Nov-16 16:50:25

Just wondered for those of you who have travelled a lot to the states...what airline would you avoid. Will be travelling with kids...9 to 14.. need to make sure they have their own screen. Any recommendations? Economy for us.
Thanks

AttilaTheMeerkat Fri 04-Nov-16 19:35:25

Would not travel with United or Delta. Look at UK based carriers like Virgin and BA; all passengers have their own screen in economy.

Would fly direct if at all possible rather than indirect (because many airlines do allow too short a time to transfer from the initial flight to the next)

AppleMagic Fri 04-Nov-16 19:37:23

Where are you flying to? I know that AA use some older planes on certain transatlantic routes which don't have individual screens.

YouAndMeAreGoingToFallOut Fri 04-Nov-16 19:37:38

Avoid American Airlines. They are awful. And no individual screens when we flew with them last year either.

OlennasWimple Fri 04-Nov-16 19:41:11

Avoid American or United.

Delta are a bit souless, but OK (and often codeshare with Virgin)

Virgin or BA would be my choice, but I hear good things about Norwegian and Aer Lingus

PlumsGalore Fri 04-Nov-16 19:42:30

It all depends from which airport and to where really.

AppleMagic Fri 04-Nov-16 19:43:44

Also make sure you're not on a codeshare flight when you book so you definitely get the airline you think you're booking.

CMOTDibbler Fri 04-Nov-16 19:43:53

United is fine - I used to fly BA all the time, but the price difference has meant I've flown transatlantic with United much more in the last couple of years. There's been new planes on some routes, and on the older ones its been 'bring your own device' for in flight entertainment anyway.

PlumsGalore Fri 04-Nov-16 19:44:59

I've flown United, Thomas Cook, Virgin, Thomsons/First Choice and prefer Thomsons out of those.

GplanAddict Fri 04-Nov-16 19:49:05

I know it's not US but avoid Air Canada. Awful, awful experience on 4 flights with them recently.

frikadela01 Fri 04-Nov-16 19:50:28

I've flown American airlines Manchester to Chicago. No seat back screens but that was like 8 years ago. Very very good service though.

Last year flew Manchester to new York on delta. Fantastic service, seat back TVs. Really couldn't fault them.

Also did Manchester to orlando on virgin a few years ago. By far the shittest of the three. Food was crap, service was crap and the TV's on my row were knackered on the return leg so we had no entertainment.

chipsandpeas Fri 04-Nov-16 19:51:39

i never had a problem with united

Kel1234 Fri 04-Nov-16 19:53:38

I've been to America twice, 1st with virgin, 2nd with BA. Both were good. I found Virgin slightly better, but that's just my preference

frikadela01 Fri 04-Nov-16 19:54:26

Also with American airline and delta you chose your seats at time of booking without having to pay anything extra.

Virgin were asking for £50 per person each way to choose seats.

LyndaNotLinda Fri 04-Nov-16 19:57:31

I've just flown with united. Own screens and good selection of films, tv and games. No charge to book seats and 23kg luggage allowance pp.

I'd fly them again.

OMGtwins Fri 04-Nov-16 19:59:26

Ba are crap with small seats, Virgin much nicer. KLM share with Delta, Delta is passable. AA omg avoid! Have had great experience with Air Canada but that was London to Vancouver. All flights to US have been London to East Coast.

MsStricty Fri 04-Nov-16 20:01:58

I've flown with many of them (American, United, Delta, BA, Virgin, Aer Lingus of them, and no one stands out as either "bad" or "good".

MsStricty Fri 04-Nov-16 20:02:31

Sorry about that! You get the meaning though.

VanillaSugarCandyCanes Fri 04-Nov-16 20:03:14

Been to Florida twice with BA and Virgin - the in flight entertainment is better with Virgin but I much preferred the BA flights and service. Here's another person saying avoid Delta - and check with the travel agent about code sharing!

RusholmeRuffian Fri 04-Nov-16 20:06:57

I fly to the States a lot and have used most airlines. I'm not too keen on AA but have never had a problem with United, Delta or Virgin. I use United more often as they usually have the best price, entertainment choices are good and their customer service has been good too. I had a dodgy screen last year which didn't bother me too much as I had my iPad anyway and they sent me a voucher for $200.

SparklesandBangs Fri 04-Nov-16 20:07:44

Flown United more times than I can remember rarely an issue and a nice relaxed service. However they have been known to split families who haven't prebooked seats, although this is more common on the internal flights. Prebooking is easy though. Food passable, soft drinks free, alcoholic charged but I never bother. With DC I would allow 2 hours for a connection. What route are you flying.

WhenTheDragonsCame Fri 04-Nov-16 20:10:44

I flew to New York last year with United and didn't have any problems. Own screen, food not too bad and enough room. I would definitely fly with them again.

wtffgs Fri 04-Nov-16 20:11:39

American gets awful reviews according to US relatives. United was great transatlantic but not quite so good in the states.

stuckinny Fri 04-Nov-16 20:13:07

BA, Aer Lingus and Virgin are all good, although Virgin wanted to charge me in June to pre-book seats. I didn't and still managed to sit together.
Flew United internally (in the US) a couple of weeks ago and their customer service was great - we had seat allocation problems. Am flying with them again at Christmas (transatlantic this time) and am hoping for same kind of service.

Continental (not even sure if they're still around) were terrible, but it was a number of years ago.

crazycatguy Fri 04-Nov-16 20:17:53

I fly across the Atlantic reasonably regularly. No US based airline has ever given me a positive experience though I typically base my flights on budget.

Virgin and BA have always been good to me and Air Canada connecting through Toronto has been positive too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now