Talk

Advanced search

Would you go to Madagascar given this foreign office info?

(17 Posts)
hmcAsWas Thu 03-Nov-16 11:55:53

www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/madagascar/safety-and-security

Looks a bit hair raising (I am admittedly quite risk averse)

hmcAsWas Thu 03-Nov-16 12:24:39

AyeAye Thu 03-Nov-16 12:28:25

DDs sixth form were doing a trip there a couple of years ago, the destination was switched from Madagascar to another country at quite a late stage, they decided it just wasn't safe.

LarryLemur Thu 03-Nov-16 12:34:15

I've been and it was amazing, wonderful country and fantastic people. Go soon, there won't be much left at the rate deforestation is happening especially given the current famine situation. That would give me more pause for thought than the risks on the FCO website which you'll see similar for a lot of developing countries. It seems to be very bad at the moment. If you get a local driver they will know the situation on the ground and any areas to avoid. Things like not travelling at night are a given. There's no where else like it though, it's fantastic! The Bradt guide is by far the best English-language guide book or the Guide du Routard in French.

hmcAsWas Thu 03-Nov-16 12:44:23

Hmmm - I don't know LarryLemur......I am sure it is an amazing place but I am a worrier

Have been looking at the Galapagos Islands instead - that seems a safer bet

ihatethecold Thu 03-Nov-16 12:45:37

I wouldn't go, that link is quite scary.

GizmoFrisby Thu 03-Nov-16 12:48:40

I don't think I'd go. I'd be a nervous wreck and would be more worried than what it's worth. Then again I don't like big cities either so I may just be a boring cow

hmcAsWas Thu 03-Nov-16 12:50:19

I'm glad I am not the only cautious one. I need ammunition when speaking to dh who will probably try and dismiss my reservations - it will be helpful to say that I am not overreacting and others think similarly

Monkeyface26 Thu 03-Nov-16 12:58:19

Absolutely not. And how much could you really enjoy a holiday in a country in the grip of famine?

www.theguardian.com/world/2016/oct/21/madagascar-drought-catastrophe-looms-as-850000-go-hungry-says-un

LarryLemur Thu 03-Nov-16 13:10:33

Do you usually travel in developing countries? Madagascar is not a 'holiday' destination in the sun and sea sense, it is very poor even without the current famine. I'm sure there are ways to travel sensitively even now if it's somewhere you have always wanted to go but if your DH has picked it at random then there are most definitely easier and safer places for a holiday. IMHO you also need three weeks to really make the most of it, not least because there are no direct flights from the UK so even getting there takes a while and then it's huge so travelling times are great. I spent three weeks, only visited one half of the country even with taking several internal flights.

hmcAsWas Thu 03-Nov-16 14:48:12

Not usually LarryLemur - unless you would classify Costa Rica as a developing country (I think its probably a bit more prosperous than most developing countries).....

That is rather grim Monkeyface

MrsCaecilius Mon 07-Nov-16 16:11:44

It depends what sort of traveller you are. As Larry says, Madagascar is an amazing place (I was there for a month in 2012) but it is a developing country with its own instabilities. I found it fascinating and enjoyed exploring but I have spent years working and travelling i precarious countries. As for the famine situation - of course that's dreadful, but if you travel sensitively you can be helping put money into the communities you meet.

Galapagos would definitely be an easier trip (I assume you are an animal enthusiast if that is on your agenda?). Its much more a of a tourist destination and you' probably feel safer there. On the downside, it is very touristy and expensive!

For me, Madagascar would win hands down. But I have plenty of friends I would not advise to travel there as they'd find it intimidating/stressful.

Other ideas - safari? scuba diving?

TheDuckSaysMoo Mon 07-Nov-16 16:36:28

That seems like standard developing country warnings. The galapagos are amazing - utterly incredible. The cities you travel to the galapagos from - Quito and Guayaquill (I think) - will have similar warnings to Madagascar I suspect. I'd definitely go.

Stopyourhavering Tue 08-Nov-16 23:17:54

What about Borneo or Costa Rica?.... Having watched Planet Earth 2 I now want to travel to these amazing places!

hmcAsWas Thu 10-Nov-16 10:38:39

I have been to Costa Rica - our best ever holiday I'd say. Would definitely recommend it Stopyourhavering.

TheDuckSaysMoo - I don't think it is standard advice for developing countries, there were very specific instances which were quite alarming if you look at it; the kidnappings of westeners for ransom, the tourists held up at gun point on an organised tour of a national park etc....The foreign office advice for the Galapagos is much less concerning

Artandco Thu 10-Nov-16 10:43:41

We did Madagascar in 2010 with 6month old ds1. We had a lovely time.
However things have really changed in the last 3+ years, i dont thinkni woudl return right now. Especially with children

TheDuckSaysMoo Thu 10-Nov-16 12:12:55

It does seem riskier - I agree. The Galapagos are awesome - go there and try for Madagascar in a few years.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now