Maldives - 8 & 5 year old

(15 Posts)
c0vb1rd Sat 22-Oct-16 20:46:05

Hi,

I turn 40 next year and have been saving for an extra special holiday smile my husband suggested Maldives...and it looks amazing! We will be taking are children with us. Any recommendations? And also travel agents who you have booked though. Thanks in advance.

RiverTam Sat 22-Oct-16 20:51:41

I have to say I found the Maldives the most boring place on earth. And ethically it's a pretty abhorrent place, very poor on human rights.

I'm sure there are lovelie places you could go! New Zealand is awesome.

Shadowboy Sat 22-Oct-16 20:54:26

We stayed at Meru Island Resort which is one of the bigger islands (if you are taking children I'd recommend a bigger island as it could get boring for them) there were free activities (and paid for ones) we loved it but went child free for 10 days. We booked with Hayes and Jarvis. I couldn't fault it- we went all inclusive and it worked out at £4K for 10 days for two adults in a beachfront jacuzzi villa. Amazing food, immaculate beaches and lots of great activities - never ever was the beach busy, in fact we were often the only people on the beach. Fab snorkelling and the house reef is AMAZING. Great spa too. 5* from me.

Stellar67 Sat 22-Oct-16 20:57:39

It's really hot. You walk round an atoll in minutes. The diving is good, but it's really a honeymoon/couples destination. DH and I dived and went on night fishing trips everyday or we'd have been pretty bored.

eurochick Sat 22-Oct-16 21:01:52

I love it there - it's my favourite place on earth. There is very little to do beyond water sports, but I love swimming, snorkelling and diving. I find a week is enough. So ready of the resorts are less couply than they used to be. Of the islands I have been to, Lux and Anantara seemed family friendly. Our child is just 2 though, and we haven't tried it as a family yet.

NannyR Sat 22-Oct-16 21:12:46

Why not try Sri Lanka? Lots of interesting stuff to see and nice beaches and its easy to tag a few days on in the Maldives at the end of the trip if you desparately want to go.
I've never been to the Maldives but it gives the impression of being a 'couples' type of place with beaches, expensive drinks and not much else.

If you want a once in a lifetime type trip, what about a safari? There are some fairly luxurious, kid friendly camps and the children would have a fantastic time.

DoYouRememberJustinBobby Sat 22-Oct-16 21:23:55

I agree with it being the most boring place. I wouldn't ever take children there. Everything is set up for honeymooning couples, my sister took her children and despite being active and well travelled little kids they had a rubbish time at huge prices.
Nice luxurious places which are also kid friendly that I have been to with our children are
Riverera Maya in Mexico
The Blue Mountains in Australia
Rosewood Resort in Antigua
Belmond Reid in Madeira

OverScentedFanjo Sat 22-Oct-16 21:27:55

I've been to the Maldives twice. Not with DC, but if you choose the right island I think it would be fine.

I haven't ever noticed dreamy couples. Families and people of all ages yes.

Some islands are big. We stayed on one that we hired bikes to get around as it was taking so long to walk around.

There are some teeny islands and some big ones. I imagine you can find something to suit. I love the Maldives. It is a beautiful place.

c0vb1rd Sun 23-Oct-16 11:53:48

Thanks everyone doesnt sound like it would fit very well with girls. They quite like all the buzz of a resort and entertainment in the evening. Ill have a look at some other options. Its a lot of money to make a mistake with.

TrickyD Sat 29-Oct-16 11:20:37

Our DGCs loved the Maldives, they first went when they were 6 and 7, but they were good swimmers and not too bothered about evening entertainment. We have also taken them to the Dominican Republic several times and that, provided you choose a hotel of good quailty, is great for everyone. Have a look at Dreams La Romana, our favourite.

AlbusPercival Sat 29-Oct-16 11:27:55

I would agree with suggestion of riviera maya, look at the sensatori or the hotel at xcaret

MrsSnow Sat 29-Oct-16 21:48:39

We stayed at the Shangri-la resort. It was amazing.

Very family orientated
Propellor plane to get there as opposed to sea plane which makes stops before you get to destination.
Lots of stuff to do

mumonahottinroof Tue 01-Nov-16 15:43:42

I took a 10 year old and 8 year old to the Maldives, Lux South Ari Atoll and we had a fabulous time. However, they both did snorkel and the daily snorkelling outing on the boat was the highlight of the trip. I wouldn't go unless everyone in the family enjoys diving/snorkelling - if they do you will have a great time.

ToShelAndBack Tue 01-Nov-16 15:53:35

We looked into the Maldives and decided against it with kids. Just too quiet and nothing to do off-resort. We are going to Mauritius instead. Can't wait!

RTKangaMummy Tue 01-Nov-16 15:57:46

We have been to Maldives twice with DS smilesmilesmile

He learnt to swim on his first visit due to spending so much time in water, 2nd time he went he went snorkelling with us

The islands all are different ours had lots of children as well as couples

But would really recommend Australia, New Zealand, Fiji, Cook Islands, Hawaiian Islands as part of RTW holiday like we did in 2002

We love Pacific Islands smilesmilesmile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now