Boston and New England Adventure

(41 Posts)
Lovewhereilive Wed 05-Oct-16 16:53:09

Am thinking of a 2 week New England holiday flying in and out of Boston next summer.

Got great advice last year re California so thought I would ask you all for recommendations on places to visit and things to do.

We love nature, cycling, swimming, bodyboarding, waterfalls, national parks, whale watching etc.

Got 3 boys, 2 are teens.

RusholmeRuffian Thu 06-Oct-16 08:14:23

The whole Maine coast is lovely. I would definitely recommend going up the coast as far as Bar Harbour and Arcadia National Park.

Teds77 Thu 06-Oct-16 09:18:55

Yep - recommendation from friends who live near Boston is that while Cape Cod and the area around there is lovely, they reckon Maine and Arcadia National Park is the best/most beautiful bit of the coast.

Lovewhereilive Thu 06-Oct-16 19:55:33

Great tips, thanks. Was wondering about Vermont and also whether to combine New York with it but don't want too much city as opposed to nature.

Lovewhereilive Thu 06-Oct-16 19:56:05

Great tips, thanks. Was wondering about Vermont and also whether to combine New York with it but don't want too much city as opposed to nature.

Hulababy Fri 07-Oct-16 17:55:25

A few years back we flew to New York for 4 nights, drove to Cape Cod (a week there) and then drove for 3 nights in Boston, flying home from there.

Was a fantastic holiday and I recommend all three locations.

Lovewhereilive Fri 07-Oct-16 18:10:15

Thanks Hula, where did you stay in Cape Cod? Was it long enough or do you wish you'd stayed there longer?

Lovewhereilive Fri 07-Oct-16 18:10:28

Thanks Hula, where did you stay in Cape Cod? Was it long enough or do you wish you'd stayed there longer?

Lovewhereilive Fri 07-Oct-16 18:10:51

Oops keep posting twice, sorry!

Lovewhereilive Fri 07-Oct-16 18:11:59

Was there enough to do in Boston for 3 nights?

pinkhousesarebest Fri 07-Oct-16 18:19:09

Yes we went last October. We went to Cape Anne, Nantucket and Martha's Vineyard which was fantastic, though in summer it is pretty much gridlock from Boston to Cape Cod at weekends. We also went to Salem because it was Halloween. We took a megabus to Nyc and stayed for three nights but we were very happy to come back to Boston. Totally loved iit and would do it again in a heartbeat. Whale watching from the harbor in Boston. We arrived end of season and it was very rough.

Oly5 Fri 07-Oct-16 18:20:23

We do NYC for three/four nights, cape cod for about six days (staying in one or two different towns but driving about) and then sow where else for about four days.
Maybe a national park in a lodge for the last bit? The drive from NYC to cape cod is very easy. Leave early though to get out of the city

Hulababy Fri 07-Oct-16 23:15:08

Plenty in Boston for 3 days. We didn't see everything I'm sure.

We stayed inland in cape cod - rented a house near St. John's pond. Explored the area by car. Loved Martha's Vineyard. The plimouth plantation was fantastic and a great day trip. Could have stayed longer but did enjoy the two cities either side.

Lovewhereilive Sat 08-Oct-16 20:26:23

All great recommendations. We have 13 nights so I think we will do Boston, 2 different places in the Cape Cod area then New York. Would love to visit Bar Harbour but think we may be stretching it a bit to get up there too.Will have to do another trip for that.

Any hotel/ apartment recommendations as they are quite pricey, might look at airbnb. Must be the Brexit effect on the exchange rate.

Hulababy Sat 08-Oct-16 20:41:57

We found a villa on holidaylettings

Lovewhereilive Sat 08-Oct-16 21:12:38

Thanks Hula, will look on there.

NicknameUsed Sat 08-Oct-16 21:34:28

We went to New England one October and loved it. We just drove around and found accommodation ad hoc each night.

We visited the following places:
Boston (of course)
Plymouth - Plimouth Plantation and the replica of The Mayflower
Old Sturbridge Village outdoor museum
Hancock Shaker Village - We stayed in Lenox
Weston in Vermont - such a pretty place
Salem - loads to see there. We stayed in Marblehead

We only had a week, but crammed a lot in. I would love to go back.

Lovewhereilive Sat 08-Oct-16 21:37:42

Do you all think it's better to stay in one place on cape cod for a week and use it as a base to travel around or split the week between two places. We don't mind moving around, quite like a change of scenery.

Lovewhereilive Sat 08-Oct-16 21:38:23

Thanks Nickname, will google all those places. Am excited already!

NicknameUsed Sat 08-Oct-16 21:45:31

I would book to stay in 2 or 3 places so you don't spend all your time driving.

StrawberryLeaf Sat 08-Oct-16 21:51:38

Marthas Vineyard is definitely worth the boat trip! Boston is beautiful and loads to do.

notagiraffe Sat 08-Oct-16 21:54:51

Boston's an amazing city. You could take the DC down to the river where people skateboard and rollerblade. The science museum is fantastic - hands one and fun, not dull. Depending on when you're going there's a lake in the main park that is a skating rink in winter and I think has boats in summer.
Boston food is amazing. Go to the Italian quarter.
Vermont is great for skiing if DC would fancy that.

carrotcakecupcake Sat 08-Oct-16 22:09:49

Boston is awesome; I'd recommend doing the Freedom Trail around the city, and the Duck Tours are a laugh. The science museum is really good, with a fab IMAX theatre and planetarium.
I grew up in Concord, MA so am totally biased which is an easy day trip from Boston. You can visit Old North Bridge, see Walden pond (Henry Thoreau's inspiration) and see Louisa May Alcott's house. It's also a v pretty 'town', the front of the Colonial Inn dates back to George Washington's time.
Have an awesome time! I'd also second a visit to Maine, Bar Harbour is beautiful, also Nantucket and Martha's Vineyard (where Jaws was filmed) are worth a visit if you are considering the Cape.

Lovewhereilive Sat 08-Oct-16 22:16:53

This is brilliant - great tips,thanks everyone. We are going in the summer so no skiing.

Boys will love that Jaws was filmed in MV. Is it worth hiring bikes on cape cod?

Is the aquarium in Boston any good?

Was looking at airbnb as hotels for 5 of us aren't cheap. Is Cambridge a good area to stay or is it too far from the city? Also would we need a car whilst in Boston?

NicknameUsed Sat 08-Oct-16 22:18:24

Not in Boston, no. We just parked ours at the hotel and walked everywhere.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now