Talk

Advanced search

Cost of flights to US

(24 Posts)
pinkbatrobi Thu 29-Sep-16 14:47:08

We're trying to book a holiday for summer 2017 as a surprise for our DD (16) and our DS (14). She will have passed her GCSEs by then, and they both have wanted to go forever... last week we saw flights London NY return at £500 each, and that just about made it possible for us to afford it. By the time we searched airbnb and made our mind up the flights have gone up to £700 each, and that is a stretch... DH thinks that means we have missed the early bird offers, but that there WILL be sales and we can wait and see... I fear at this point prices will only go up and we should get the £700 while we still sort of can, or risk missing out on the trip altogether... so million dollar question: does anybody know how the price structure works and is there a chance that prices will go down nearer the time, or should I start looking at holidays in Cornwall? grin can anyone recommend low cost sites to follow prices on? Any other suggestions? Thank you!!!

AveEldon Thu 29-Sep-16 14:55:33

Try Norwegian

LadyPeterWimsey Thu 29-Sep-16 14:57:01

Have you cleared your cookies from your computer and tried again, or tried from another computer?Apparently flights can go up in price because the companies know you are looking again.

pinkbatrobi Thu 29-Sep-16 16:00:24

ooohhh Lady that is clever... Thanks, will try that.

lovelybangers Thu 29-Sep-16 16:04:24

DH amd DSS 2 went to NY in June for less.

Thomas Cook had cheap flights.

NicknameUsed Thu 29-Sep-16 16:31:41

Apparently you can't do airbnb in NY.

Catinthecorner Thu 29-Sep-16 16:37:27

Wow Air or Icelandair are usually super cheap if you're willing to skimp on luggage

OlennasWimple Thu 29-Sep-16 16:37:32

£500 is a great price, £700 isn't bad either!

Lots of airlines haven't released their summer schedules yet, so don't panic! You can sign up to websites like SkyScanner that will give you alerts on prices going up and down

Try Norwegian and Wow for low prices too (watch the extras)

ShesGottaTicket2Ride Thu 29-Sep-16 16:42:04

ditto what LadyPeterWimsey said... I've watched flights go from 500 - 900 in the space of two days... and then booked from a different ISP address for the original 500. I booked flights last year in March ..and got low prices for summer so don't worry.
Also - you could look at Aer Lingus ... you clear US immigration in Dublin (I think) which makes the US arrival easier...

idontlikealdi Thu 29-Sep-16 16:43:28

We flew icelandair to Denver a few years ago - I can't remember how much it was but seem to remember it was about £1500 cheaper than BA or United. Would really recommend if you don't mind changing in Rekyavik. We got delayed there though, by a hurricane, nothing to do with the airline and it is the most extraordinarily expensive airport I've ever been in.

CodyKing Thu 29-Sep-16 16:51:27

Search sky scanner

Then check with the airline they recommend directly

If booking direct check for Airline failure insurance on your travel policy

Pinkbatrobi Sat 01-Oct-16 02:31:20

Thank you all. I've tried most of your suggestions, but no luck. Cheapest I can get are still too expensive for us sad will probably have to change plans and hope to be able to go at a different time ...

stuckinny Sat 01-Oct-16 03:18:50

Try Hopper. I've been using them a fair bit this year and they've consistently told me when to book to get the best price.

An option for a hotel is Priceline.com. You get the best deals if you wait until last minute. I've managed to get some amazing deals for NYC (I live in NY so am often in the city) a day or two before.

dudsville Sat 01-Oct-16 03:25:03

I always thought that the optimum time to guy flights was 3 months beforehand. Anyone else heard that?

babymouse Sat 01-Oct-16 04:16:50

You're trying to book way too early. Wait a few months. I've seen flights for £300ish for NYC this winter (and not on just low frill carriers either)

Keep an eye on Holliday Pirates and Google tips on there's best time to buy.

zolaaa Sun 09-Oct-16 09:07:34

They always have sales on right after Christmas so look then!

zolaaa Sun 09-Oct-16 09:08:15

Also try a few dates as sometimes one or two days either side can make a big difference!

homebythesea Sun 09-Oct-16 09:12:14

London to new york is one of the most expensive routes. Could you try going to Boston, or Washington DC or other cities in the east coast and see if these might be cheaper? If NYC is your final destination you could go by train from there. As others have said Airbnb is illegal in NYC so don't do it. Consider something like Staybridge Suites which gives you a kitchenette and free breakfast that will help with food costs.

belleandsnowwhite Sun 09-Oct-16 09:47:31

Look at indirect, I got cheaper flights to NYC by going via chicago and then flying from chicago to New York. It was almost £200 cheaper.

thereinmadnesslies Sun 09-Oct-16 09:53:17

We saved about £1500 on 4 return flights to the US last summer by flying via Frankfurt on the way out and via Washington on the way home. On Lufthansa / United (code share). It added about 3 hrs each way to the journey but it meant we got 4 flights in August for £2000.

MissMooMoo Thu 13-Oct-16 13:32:05

I flew to EWR with air india just this past August for about £360 return. Wait a bit,you are looking very early.

Alli91 Mon 17-Oct-16 22:39:06

Last time I paid £785 for a flight to San Francisco. I know that's not cheap price but I I always choose the best flights when I fly with my children, only first class - www.iflyfirstclass.com/ My children deserve reliable service. Polite staff, new aircrafts, safety on the board for me is very important cos I very afraid of flight!

storynanny Mon 17-Oct-16 22:48:39

Just flown delta heathrow to Jfk this week for £411 return. I booked it 2 weeks before. When I searched 3 weeks before it was £511. However in the past there has been no obvious pattern to the cost of flights.
Delta seems to be consistently the best price for me. However Norwegian was also a good choice recently for reasonable price, although no food included. Delta catering is superb.

littlemissneela Mon 17-Oct-16 22:53:46

Yes to clearing cookies and the flights tend to be at their lowest up to 4 weeks before the flights, before they go up to stupid amounts. I found my tickets to Chicago on Boxing day (family wedding there) to be cheapest through BA, and as a flying novice very easy to do.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now