Talk

Advanced search

San Francisco (and Santa Cruz) hotel recommends/best areas to stay in

(8 Posts)
YoScience Mon 26-Sep-16 14:52:30

I have booked flights to San Francisco for next summer for teen Dd and I. The plan is to do 5 night in San Fran, then drive down to Santa Cruz stay for 2 nights then back to SF for a night then fly home.

Having a look at hotels and there seems to be a huge variation on price. From what I can gather it's best to be at either Union Sq area or the Wharf. Anyone with any recommendations or advice would be much appreciated.

In Santa Cruz we just want to be near the beach/boardwalk I think, although there does seem to be some quite dodgy areas from what I've read. So again any advice would be great! smile

runpenrun Mon 26-Sep-16 22:32:58

Hi, we visited San Francisco for 5 nights this summer. We (family of 4, children are 12 and 13) stayed in the Marina area, in an AirBnB apartment. It was good area for us - close to shops, places to eat and some sights. If you are hoping to visit Alcatraz, remember to book about 3 months before you go. Great city - hope to return one day.

JWIM Tue 27-Sep-16 09:51:40

The Argonaut was fun - on the waterfront and close to the end of one of the main Cable Car runs.

GinSolvesEverything Wed 28-Sep-16 07:48:01

I stayed at the Hotel Carlton recently. Was a 10 minute walk to Union Square, v close to bus and tram lines. Also pretty much right on a street that has loads of good bars and restaurants. About a block back towards Union Square is am amazing restaurant called the Liholiho Yacht Club.

We searched for ages, and this place was a perfect compromise between price, style and location.

rookiemere Wed 28-Sep-16 12:53:28

Just back from San Francisco and couldn't recommend Washington Square Inn highly enough . Great safe location and walking distance to all the attractions. Mind you I was on my own so may not be as good for a young family.

rookiemere Wed 28-Sep-16 12:54:44

Ah sorry just saw your daughter is a teen so Washington square would be absolutely fine. Plus you get free wine and nibbles at 5pm smile

YoScience Wed 28-Sep-16 19:56:19

Thanks everyone, they all sound great, I'll check them all out now! smile

Lovewhereilive Thu 29-Sep-16 21:01:39

We stayed in Fisherman's Wharf and it was a great location for what we wanted to do (Alcatraz and cycling the bridge). Loved being by the sea.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now