Talk

Advanced search

London to Melbourne via....?

(6 Posts)
crazycatguy Sun 25-Sep-16 21:06:43

I'm off to Australia this summer (again!) and as I can't stand to be on a plane more than 7 or 8hrs at a time I generally go in hops on one way tickets there and back. This gives me the chance to visit places en route for a few days at a time and gives me a chance to sleep!

Last time I went London to Dubai to Shanghai to Singapore and onto Sydney from there. Home was Singapore, Colombo and Dubai again.

Any other route suggestions? I have five weeks off so time isn't an issue. I have some money to spend but don't want to be throwing out many thousands!

OP’s posts: |
Allthebestnamesareused Sun 20-Nov-16 17:40:00

Hong Kong is my favourite Far East city. If you have not been there you MUST go! I prefer it over Singapore/Bangkok anyday

QuilliamCakespeare Sun 20-Nov-16 17:44:23

I came on to suggest Hong Kong too - safe, vibrant city and plenty to see. There are some good night markets and day trips if you want to go further afield.

I absolutely love Bangkok so would also recommend that as a stop though I'm not sure I could go back without exploring more of Thailand at the same time - it's definitely a whole holiday in itself. I love the colour and chaos of Bangkok though.

ShanghaiDiva Mon 21-Nov-16 11:34:23

Also recommend HK, but London-HK - Melbourne will involve more than 7/8 hours for each leg of the trip.
Other cities you could consider - KL or HCMC or Bangkok. Beijing would also be possible with Air China from Heathrow, but again longer than 8 hours although you could then do a short hop to HK (3.5/4 hours I imagine) and on to Melbourne from there.

ShanghaiDiva Mon 21-Nov-16 11:36:45

If you choose Bangkok there are a couple of easy day trips from there - Kanchanaburi for the bridge over the river Kwai and Ayutthaya which is a world heritage site.

Kirriemuir Wed 23-Nov-16 19:46:36

Another vote for HK.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in