Talk

Advanced search

Miami and the keys?

(9 Posts)
christmasmum Wed 31-Aug-16 14:59:31

We're flying into Miami for 7 nights in May but not sure what to do while we're there! Has anyone been and got some great recommendations? It's for a special birthday and we're going without the children (alternating between delirium and panic about that part tbh...!). Any advice much appreciated! We're planning on hiring a car and exploring a bit, maybe the Keys?

maddiesparks Wed 31-Aug-16 15:09:37

Hi, we flew into Miami and stayed in South Beach for 3 nights. Then we hired a car and drive down to Key west stopping at Fort Lauderdale where we stayed overnight and took a little boat out past millionaires row to a little island full of pink flamingos. We had dinner at a restaurant there and it was lovely. We then stopped at the Everglades park which was also fantastic. Key west itself is divine, you will love it. I'd do that holiday again in a heart beat. It was about 14 years ago that we went but I'm sure all the same things are still there.

christmasmum Wed 31-Aug-16 16:00:10

That sounds amazing! How long did you spend on Key West? Would a few nights be enough?

maddiesparks Wed 31-Aug-16 16:15:46

We were there (key west) for 4 nights and yes I think that would be fine - Key West itself isn't huge, you can always visit some of the other Keys on your way through. I am very envious of you!

mummymeister Wed 31-Aug-16 18:23:35

we stayed in Islamorada on the keys and loved it. we were there for a week and also did an everglades trip because we were near enough.

christmasmum Wed 31-Aug-16 19:48:41

What sort of things did you do on the keys? I'm wondering if we'll get a bit bored? We're not really into laying round all day, though a day or two would be nice!

maddiesparks Wed 31-Aug-16 20:49:46

A snorkelling trip, drank a lot of cocktails and ate some beautiful fish and seafood in some lovely restaurants. We also went out on a sea fishing trip. I'm not until lying around on beaches too much either which is why 4 days was just about right for us.

christmasmum Wed 31-Aug-16 20:54:10

Perfect, thank you so much for the advice!

BadToTheBone Wed 31-Aug-16 20:59:52

I lived in Miami for a few years. Key West is great with lots to do, Hemingway's House, lots of beaches and water sports, sunset at the furthest most point. There lots do do on the islands on the way down too.

However, there's much more to do in Miami itself. South beach, key biscayne, coconut grove, shopping, parrot jungle and monkey jungle, sports, bayside etc.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now