Talk

Advanced search

Safari recommendations in South Africa?

(10 Posts)
welliesandsequins Sun 28-Aug-16 15:04:10

We I hoping to go to South Africa next August. We want to do a few days safari with dc (10 and 15). Does anyone have any recommendations of family friendly, reasonably on a budget, safaris?
TIA

Move2yorkshire Mon 29-Aug-16 15:46:16

We went to Kruger and the lodge we stayed at wasn't budget but there is plenty of choice in that area. I did find however that w lot of lodges were for ages 12 plus

JetJungle Mon 29-Aug-16 16:12:16

For a self drive, I always recommened Pilanesburg Game Reserve. Due to the smaller size of the reserve, you see a lot more wildlife. It is reasonably near to Joburg and no malaria tabs are needed.

Otherwise I love Thakadu River Camp in Madikwe Game Reserve but I think it's pricey.

turnipturnip Mon 29-Aug-16 23:26:37

I 2nd the Pilanesburg. We just booked our safari for April there and have visited 3 times previously. There were plenty of options. The Kingdom Lodge which is just outside the park is very reasonably priced. There are also camps within the park that are a good deal. Hire a car and its a straightforward drive up there.

justabigdisco Mon 29-Aug-16 23:37:26

We stayed at a private game reserve called Garonga. It was totally amazing and not as expensive as others we'd seen. We did Kruger self drive as well which was great but really enjoyed a bit of luxury.

welliesandsequins Wed 31-Aug-16 08:57:07

Thank you. Also I am a bit confused. When you book a lodge is the actual safari drive included in that or do you have to book that separately? confused

Move2yorkshire Wed 31-Aug-16 11:04:44

It can depends on the lodge but it should say in the rates information. For us it included everything apart from certain fine wines and spa treatments

curlywillow Wed 31-Aug-16 11:08:53

Madikwe Safari Lodge in madikwe. It is our favourite place in the world. Its so child friendly and the service is just amazing. A wonderful chilled place to be.

All food drinks, game drives etc are included in the price.

childoftheeighties Thu 15-Sep-16 06:52:41

We stayed in Kruger and did self drive safari. Lots of rest camps available on variable budgets.

flumpybear Thu 15-Sep-16 16:00:40

We did sabi sands which was nice, small and cosy!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now