Relocating to Nairobi?

(17 Posts)
elportodelgato Wed 24-Aug-16 15:37:52

Has anyone else done this? Looks like we might be and I am at a loss as to where to start!
For various reasons Westlands is probably the best place for us to live, does anyone know about good primary schools in that area that do a UK curriculum? And how to go about finding rental accommodation?

TIA to any old hands, this is the first time we've relocated out of the UK...

SJane45S Wed 24-Aug-16 19:57:33

Long time ago but we moved to Nairobi when I was 7 - my parents hadn't lived outside outside Norfolk! It was a brilliant brilliant place to be a kid. We lived in Lavington - The Banda was considered the best school.

elportodelgato Thu 25-Aug-16 06:20:02

Oh thanks! One of my worries is the dangers and the safety of the kids. What are your reasons for saying it's a great place to grow up? I worry about relocating the DC, although they are small so will hopefully adapt.

I've been there only once 10yrs ago & my impression was very hectic + we were involved in a car accident in a taxi which was scary!

marcopront Thu 25-Aug-16 06:44:50

I used to live there, my DD was born there and we go regularly. Her Dad still lives there. I have never had any problems.

I used to work at Braeburn, which is on Gitanga Road (and other places) which does the National Curriculum. I think it is a good school.

SJane45S Thu 25-Aug-16 08:51:27

Eloporto, other than a day school trip my Mum had done to France, our family had been outside the UK. My Dad had a really good job offer so my parents decided to take a leap into the dark but I do remember my Mum crying a lot before we went.

There was just me and my younger sister and Nairobi was hugely different to Norfolk. There was a big British community, country clubs etc. I think there are fewer Brits now - but maybe just do what my Mum did, throw yourself in to lots of activities initially. It was a wonderful place to be a kid and i have so many reasons why from examining termite nests on trees in the garden, going to Nairobi Game Park at weekends, trips to Mombasa and shell hunting, watching animals at the waterhole in Voi from a stinky hide etc etc!
Back then we had a live in askari (guard), alarm system and bars on all our doors - security has always been an issue - it's a question of recognising that and being sensible.
I went to Nairobi Academy - it followed a British curriculum and at the time had mainly British pupils. I'm not sure what it's like now. The Banda was considered the best school but had a v long waiting list.

Hope there's something useful in there!

SJane45S Thu 25-Aug-16 08:53:01

Grr- had not been outside the Uk - should really preview posts!

EssentialHummus Thu 25-Aug-16 08:59:59

Not much to add. I was born there, my aunt and uncle live there and cousins were educated at Braeburn. I'd happily move there again!

marcopront Thu 25-Aug-16 12:55:02

EssentialHummus

When were your cousins at Braeburn? And which one?

InTheDessert Thu 25-Aug-16 13:02:35

There is also a living overseas topic on here, which might be worth posting in, if you haven't already.
Good luck with the move!!

elportodelgato Thu 25-Aug-16 14:43:08

Thanks all! I knew there was a living overseas thread somewhere, I just couldn't find it yesterday...
We're excited to be going, after a tough few years for various reasons we feel like we need a change and the kids are small enough to hopefully adapt well.
Thanks for all the school advice - all looks expensive but doable smile

marcopront Thu 25-Aug-16 15:53:10

Will your husband's employer pay any of the school fees? It is a normal part of an expat package.

There are very few from Kenya on the living overseas board which reflects the now fairly small British community there. There are a lot of teachers though, generally they live in school accommodation.

TheHorseWhisperer Thu 25-Aug-16 15:57:55

Hmm... I visited Nairobi amongst other areas of Kenya last year. I must say I've never felt so threatened as walking through that city. But we were right in the heart of it. My friend and I were both mugged at knife point and the locals just watched. Are there gated communities you can look into? It is not somewhere i would ever consider moving my children to, personally.

InTheDessert Thu 25-Aug-16 16:13:07

Living Overseas takes me a couple of minutes to find.

InTheDessert Thu 25-Aug-16 16:14:10

PS I live somewhere which is vilified regularly. If you are sensible, and DHs work are letting you go as a family, you should be fine.

LordRothermereBlackshirtCunt Fri 26-Aug-16 07:48:07

My Dad's family is from Kenya and they regard Nairobi as unsafe. Sadly, a family friend was shot dead in front of her kids not long ago.

SJane45S Fri 26-Aug-16 13:48:48

I saw a man shot dead in a car park in Nairobi over 35 years ago, someone tried to saw through the bars of the windows on our house and my father was held at knife point by a taxi driver. It's never been 100% safe, it's a question of knowing where to go and what you can safely do. There were no gated communities in my day, but we all had big gates, dogs, askari's, security systems and bars. All of which my Dads employers paid for - along with school fees etc. Sounds a bit daunting on re-read but as above, as a child I loved it there.

elportodelgato Sat 27-Aug-16 20:01:36

I really appreciate these honest responses. I'm under no illusions about the danger and security issues - but it's all worth thinking about again. Hopeful we can go for a recce in the next month or so & get more of a feel for life there

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now