Talk

Advanced search

Christmas in Florida - Flight Info/Recommendation

(19 Posts)
Bowbelles Wed 31-Jan-07 00:21:42

We are hoping to spend next Christmas in Florida. We have never been before as a family and wondered if anyone can recommend an airline/travel agent. Have been trying to find a flight but want to return early January and there doesn't appear to be much choice - is it too early to book? Flights are really expensive - has anyone had a good deal? We will be booking a villa separately (lots of choice so want to get flights first).
Thanks [snile]

Bowbelles Wed 31-Jan-07 00:23:11

sorry - should be . Typing in the dark as lightbulb gone and can't be bothered to try and find one - I should be in bed!

twinsetandpearls Wed 31-Jan-07 00:25:50

We are going out to florida in the summer and the price of flights was an issue as we are also paying for othe family members to come with us, so we have booked a charter flight rather than our original choice of virgin which has saved us almost £300 a flight, which is £1500 for us in total.

Bowbelles Wed 31-Jan-07 00:37:44

thanks twinset - who did you book with?

twinsetandpearls Wed 31-Jan-07 00:42:44

Booked a jmc flight whoi I think ar Thomas Cook, not ideal as the seats are a bit cramped and the food won't be as good as virgin but the other option to save money was a non directflight which I couldn't face. A saving of £1500 is a lot to us. We justused a cheap flights search engine, can't remember which one as dp booked it but I will ask him.

I saw something the other day about thomas cook flights being improved so they may not be too bad.

AttilaTheMeerkat Wed 31-Jan-07 06:48:10

I stand corrected if I am wrong but thought the only carriers to fly direct into Orlando are Virgin and BA.

All the others fly into Sanford which is further east of Orlando.

Booking it direct with the airline and villa company should save more money than if you used a travel agent.

Bowbelles Wed 31-Jan-07 07:46:46

Thanks TS that's a great saving (trhere are 5 of us). Atilla is Sandford far from the attractions?

SecondhandRose Wed 31-Jan-07 08:16:49

Yes Virgin and BA fly thru Orlando International which is 30 minutes from everything. Sanford a bit further out.

No, you cant book the flights until 327 days before your flight home so Christmas flights will be available in another week or two.

You can book package holidays for Christmas now though. We have booked the cheapest possible package deal before but then stayed in our villa as it was cheaper to do it that way than with flights only as one of the child prices was really cheap.

Yes, flights will be expensive but if you are prepared, flights on Christmas Day are always good value.

diddle Wed 31-Jan-07 08:33:54

Bowbelles - very jealous of your christmas trip. we came back on the 23rd december last year, wish we could have stayed. I've been at crimbo before at it is wonderful, you'll have a great time.
I did a search with a cheap search engine and virgin were the cheapest we've got two adult flights to orlando in April for £300 each which was much cheaper than BA and continental etc. plus its a direct flight which i think makes a lot of difference, i'd rather be in the air for 9 hours than 14 with a stop.

diddle Wed 31-Jan-07 08:33:55

Bowbelles - very jealous of your christmas trip. we came back on the 23rd december last year, wish we could have stayed. I've been at crimbo before at it is wonderful, you'll have a great time.
I did a search with a cheap search engine and virgin were the cheapest we've got two adult flights to orlando in April for £300 each which was much cheaper than BA and continental etc. plus its a direct flight which i think makes a lot of difference, i'd rather be in the air for 9 hours than 14 with a stop.

AttilaTheMeerkat Wed 31-Jan-07 11:03:33

Atilla is Sanford far from the attractions?.

Yes. Sanford is about one hour drive time further north east from Orlando in itself.

Would certainly concur with the suggestion made to fly direct - you certainly don't want to make an internal transfer through a US airport unless you either have to and/or have loads of time to do it (would say no less than 3 hours).

Tamz77 Wed 31-Jan-07 16:54:40

I'm flying into Sanford at the end of March and picking up the hire car from there, driving straight down into Orlando.

Christmas is one of the busiest times at Disney etc but I imagine it's extra-magical too.

There are some good Orlando forums on tripadvisor.com if you want to ask any specific questions (I'm there almost every day atm!), the experts know everything.

paulaplumpbottom Wed 31-Jan-07 16:56:49

I am from the area and go about three times a yaer. You want Virgin, they are the best for families. Do not go anywhere near Sanford airport, its awful. Its also miles away from anywhere you want to be. MCO is right beside everything.

Bowbelles Fri 02-Feb-07 08:38:21

Thanks for all your help. Don't really want a stopover if we can avoid it, much rather go direct and just get there asap. I'll have a look at tripadvisor Tamz77 it sounds useful.
I expect it to be a busy time but it's the closest time we can get off work/school to my "special" birthday in November. Life begins....Florida here we come

winterpimms Fri 02-Feb-07 10:11:13

IMO if I found a flight to Sanford that was a lot cheaper than to MCO, then I would book it. It doesn't take that long to drive in (and you only do it twice - once there and back). Obviously, if there wasn't much difference, take the MCO flight.

I have been at Xmas. We arrived around 17 Dec. The first few days were really quiet!

Hope you have a great holiday!

Bowbelles Fri 02-Feb-07 20:02:11

Thanks PPBottom. I will avoid Sanford now.
(I also live in Camberley and my name is Paula - I also have a v. plump bottom!)

SecondhandRose Sun 04-Feb-07 18:26:38

Have now been searching for Xmas flights, they are incredibly expensive. Anyone found a bargain?

SecondhandRose Tue 06-Feb-07 19:29:57

Well, I've just booked my flights, cost a fortune but couldn't see any way of getting them cheaper. At least I was able to use some miles but wasn't able to get on a flight home with them until 7th Jan.

paulaplumpbottom Wed 07-Feb-07 11:10:20

I don't live in Camberley anymore. I lived there about 4 or 5 years ago. It is a beautiful area though.

What are your plans for when you are in FL? Let me know if I can be of any help, as I said I'm from there originally and I know all the best places.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »