Talk

Advanced search

AI Carribean for family

(33 Posts)
summerholsdreamin Mon 15-Aug-16 12:16:18

Already looking at hols for next summer and really want to do AI in Carribean.

Looking for recommendations please; pretty open minded on islands (with exception of Jamaica as already been there).

Must be on beach, PLENTY for 12 and 9 yo to do, yet not too big or noisy and relaxing for me and DH.
Good food and service.
Also safe for us to leave resort and explore.

Have had a quick look and quotes coming in above & £10k shockshockis there anywhere that won't break the bank yet still naaice grin

AlbusPercival Mon 15-Aug-16 12:20:20

Sensatori Mexico - its lovely, it is on carribbean coast but not sure if you were looking for an island.

Would also recommend the hotel at Xcaret on Riviera Maya

summerholsdreamin Mon 15-Aug-16 12:38:30

Thanks Albus....unfortunately DH really reluctant to go to Mexico

sweetpeaandroses Mon 15-Aug-16 13:06:43

THB I think you'll be lucky to find AI for 4 for much less than £10K.
The cost of the flights in the summer hols are ridiculous.
Would you consider a villa or apartment?

Cathaka15 Mon 15-Aug-16 13:09:56

What's AI? confused

summerholsdreamin Mon 15-Aug-16 13:11:35

Yes Sweet, I fear you are right

Am set on AI as am so sick of the constant shopping, cooking,
Cleaning on SC hols. Just for once it would be lovely not to have to lift a finger smile

sweetpeaandroses Mon 15-Aug-16 13:11:53

All inclusive Cath

summerholsdreamin Mon 15-Aug-16 13:12:10

Cat... All inclusive

LurkingQuietly Mon 15-Aug-16 13:13:11

Does it have to be AI? I would SO recommend Costa Rica. Just hundreds and hundreds of amazing things to do and eating out is so cheap it actually wouldn't be too bad eating out all the time. I can't wait to go back there when my kids are older.

LurkingQuietly Mon 15-Aug-16 13:13:51

Sorry, see you are set on AI - distracted halfway through writing the post!

BendydickCuminsnatch Mon 15-Aug-16 13:15:03

Watching... We're going to Paradisus in Dom Rep in Nov. I'm scared about food poisoning and the fight (with 18mo) , and just realised its a Zika area, duh. Better not get pregnant!

sweetpeaandroses Mon 15-Aug-16 13:15:41

But summer if you rent a house in the Caribbean a lot of them come with a maid who maintains the property and for a bit extra will cook.
We've done it a couple of times and had fantastic, authentic carribean cooking.

SandyDays Mon 15-Aug-16 13:17:44

We stayed at memories splash punta Cana a few years ago, it has a huge onsite water park and beach access through its sister hotel the royalton

Cathaka15 Mon 15-Aug-16 13:18:01

Oh. Duh! blush. Im stupid sometimes.

1million Mon 15-Aug-16 13:18:52

Our requirements are exactly the same as yours although just one DC. We're looking at Atlantis in The Bahamas or somewhere in Barbados which I would class as both safe to explore

Atenco Mon 15-Aug-16 13:33:21

Don't forget that the hurricane season starts in August.

eurochick Mon 15-Aug-16 13:42:53

It doesn't have to be AI or SC. you could stay somewhere half board and just buy lunch out when you are doing things or in the hotel if you stay there for the day.

mouldycheesefan Tue 16-Aug-16 09:13:47

We are returning to Mexico, down to the riviera maya don't think I could do cancun.
Would love Costa Rica but next year we need a fly and flop holiday.
Have also been to Barbados, grenada, Antigua, st Lucia and grenadines without kids.
We did a two centre New York and Mexico and that was great.

ppandj Tue 16-Aug-16 09:20:52

I really would recommend Mexico. There are loads of trips out you can do, the best one we did was to get the Collectivo (bus) down to Akumal Beach and rented snorkelling gear to see turtles. It was amazing and cost us about $10 each. Other activities are swimming in cenotes, xel-ha park, a zip wire park. If you stay in Playa del Carmen you can go for a wander round the resort. If you were able to go in the May half term and do 11 nights it would be cheaper. Think we paid £1200 each for that and the weather was fab.

DearMrDilkington Tue 16-Aug-16 09:24:32

How about Cuba?

mouldycheesefan Tue 16-Aug-16 09:26:05

Agree with pp re akumal beach etc.
Can totally understand why your dh doesn't want a hotel with 3000 rooms in Mexico. But there are lots of smaller ones. Fab beaches, snorkelling, jungle etc. The infrastructure is excellent the roads re excellent, drivers are very good, tonnes to do, great weather and you won't pay £10k.

mouldycheesefan Tue 16-Aug-16 09:27:52

Personally Dominican Republic doesn't appeal to me, hotels sound like compounds and lots of food poisoning tales, I like to explore the area. Also seems to attract a cheaper rowdy element.
Cuba I have heard the food is not great. Travel agent told me to avoid if I wanted decent food.

mouldycheesefan Tue 16-Aug-16 09:29:49

Lurkinquietly, how old were your kids when you went to Costa Rica, where did you fly via?
Did you book a tour or just travel round independently? How bad were the travel distances?
What were the kids highlights?
Thanks!

DearMrDilkington Tue 16-Aug-16 09:31:25

I've been Cuba 3 times, the food is ok there's nothing bad about it. The beaches and the snorkeling are amazing though, the hotels are beautiful too.

Ollycat Tue 16-Aug-16 09:34:59

We've just come back from the Verandah resort and spa in Antigua and had s great time (we have 2 kids - 13 and 11) and last year went to St James Club in St Lucia also fab.

Both have lots of water sports etc. Of the 2 I prob preferred Antigua although they were both wonderful. BA fly direct to both islands (8 hours). Time difference -5 so some jet lag - wasn't so bad going but tough at mo.

Weather was around 30 and v high humidity.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now