Advanced search

PCA for South Africa: Commissioner of Oaths..?

(5 Posts)
Boopear Fri 12-Aug-16 14:18:21

I need to get a Parental Consent Affidavit affirmed by a Commissioner of Oaths for travel to South Africa. This is needed as I am taking my son without his dad. Does this mean it can be affirmed by a solicitor or do I need to engage a notary for witnessing the document? I asked the SA dept and they seem to advise that I can go to a post office/bank, which seems a little bizarre and not really applicable to the UK. I have found a solicitor who is a Commissioner of Oaths so hoping this is fine, as it is a darn site cheaper (and easier) than getting a public notary.

Has anyone successfully been through this process and can advise on what worked for you? Really don't want to get to the airport and find that I should have splashed out on a notary... Ta lots.

HawkingsMead Sat 13-Aug-16 13:28:10

I don't know anything about this but I've had to use public notary here in London for documents related to the USA and they charged £50 per document - is that a lot? Seems like a small price to pay to ensure that you aren't refused travel if there is some confusion about the requirements. What price were you quoted for Notary?

Maybe someone else can help with more information.

fairgroundsnack Sat 13-Aug-16 13:30:30

All solicitors are commissioners for oaths. If the document just needs a that then a solicitor is fine. It would normally specify a notary if that was what was required.

kath6144 Tue 06-Sep-16 20:33:50

My DS went to SA on a church youth trip last summer, they were all under 18 at time.

The youth leader got the church solicitor to do majority of PCAs.

Note of caution - one girl went to a firm and her PCA had a stamp on it, rest of them didn't as church solicitor wasn't part of a company so didn't need a stamp (or something like that).

They got stopped at Heathrow, but fortunately the youth leader rang the solicitor who confirmed he didn't have/need a stamp!

Boopear Wed 07-Sep-16 12:30:01

I forgot about this thread! Many thanks for all your help. In the end i went to Emirates @the airport to ask their advice, as they are the ones who actually review the paperwork at point of departure and they were great. On their advice, I used a solicitor (with a stamp!), to affirm the PCA, as well as all copies of my son's dad's ID papers.

I also had a minor issue with my son's dad not having a current passport, but the expired one can be used for ID, just not travel. Am flying next week so fingers crossed all well!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now