Talk

Advanced search

Where to go in Dec/Jan with toddler and baby

(15 Posts)
Pandatone Fri 29-Jul-16 19:28:47

Hello

Looking for some ideas for a 3-4 week trip with an almost 3 year old and a just turned 1 year old. We want to make the most of the end of my mat leave, leaving mid December and returning mid January. Ideally we want warmth (I live in hope!) and would probably want to base ourselves in one place rather than travel around too much. A city near to mountains or beach would be good. And not toooooo far! Ive no idea how long a flight the kids could manage - anybody got any experiences?

Any ideas would be hugely appreciated. On the list so far - Morocco, Hawaii, Sri Lanka.

Thanks in advance

specialsubject Fri 29-Jul-16 19:56:57

If you are starting from Europe Hawaii is a huge journey and there are no non stop flights.

Why not park up in the.canaries? Won't be as warm but could be lovely. You could go to one of the smaller islands. No time change, no tropical diseases, easy language. Great beaches and scenery.

MrsSparkles Fri 29-Jul-16 19:59:45

South Africa. It's a long-ish flight (11 hours), but overnight so mine have mostly slept and no time difference to speak of.

Cape Town is probably my favourite city in the world.

CaitAgusMadra Fri 29-Jul-16 20:02:36

What a fab plan (I'm v jealous envy). I second South Africa, the flight is long but doable as they tend to be overnight & direct.

I wouldn't consider Morocco due to recent terrorism

Pandatone Sat 30-Jul-16 22:29:01

Ah thanks, some good suggestions there. Like the idea of South Africa, if we could handle the overnight flight. Our youngest would be just 1 so on our laps during the journey. Please tell me more about Cape Town - what do you love about it? Is it family friendly? I've heard it's one of the most beautiful cities...

Canaries also an excellent shout. Which of the smaller islands would you recommend? I do like the idea of minimal or no time difference and the promise of some warmth but not necessarily the long haul flight.

Any other ideas most welcome, thanks again for positing

CaitAgusMadra Sun 31-Jul-16 07:02:34

Cape Town is very family friendly. It has everything -beaches, mountains, vineyards, culture...

For a long visit I would look at staying in one of the suburbs on the coast like Camps Bay which is very safe and has an amazing beach. You'll need to hire a car but driving is easy and on the left hand side.

As well as all the city has it makes a good base for lots of short trips eg Stellenbosch.

Ive never taken a baby that age but you should look into the bulkhead cots, I'm not sure what age/size they are suitable up to. If they are too small for a 1yo a bulkhead seat would mean you could make a little nest of blankets at your feet for the baby and transfer them to this once fast asleep in your arms

MrsSparkles Sun 31-Jul-16 07:11:04

I think the bassinet on ba are still OK for 1 year olds. But sadly putting them at your feet is very frowned upon ( voice of experience).

The waterfront is great lots of street performers and the aquarium, lots of beaches, the botanic gardens, it's a lovely outdoorsy city. The wine farms (about 40 mins away) stellenbosch and franschoek are mostly very family friendly.

Artandco Sun 31-Jul-16 07:27:17

Oman? It's around 20 degrees then, maybe up to 25 on a good day

We have been a few times with two little ones since tiny.

Otherwise how about Cyprus? In December you can have winters when you could ski in mountains and go on warm beach at the same time. It's not hot, but usually warm. Easy island to hire car for a month and some cheap accomadation and do a mixture of exploring and relaxing

Frazzled2207 Sun 31-Jul-16 07:35:55

We just had a uk holiday with a nearly 3 and just turned 1yo. It was a nightmare tbh- big kid was good but small kid was at that awkward stage of walking but not able to be trusted by himself for a complete second and never walking in the direction we wanted him to.
I'm pleased we didnt spend a fortune on going abroad tbh.
However i'm an uptight sort and our small kid is inherently awkward. You might well be luckier, but don't count on a "relaxing" holiday, it will be hard work! smile. We also went when dc2 was a tiny baby (as I assume your dc2 is now) and that was loads easier.

shugfish Sun 31-Jul-16 07:49:26

We did a six week road trip in California at the end of my first maternity leave with my ten month old son. We stayed in one place for 5-7 days and used each base to explore the local areas. Yes at times it was challenging and not like the pre children holidays we had. However the whole experience was fantastic, and something I look back on very fondly, especially when I first returned to work.
Enjoy your trip wherever you go 😀

Hopelass Sun 31-Jul-16 07:56:20

Another vote for Cape Town. You can get direct flights or a quick stop in France or Amsterdam before a long night flight. DH's family are from Cape Town and I can't wait to go back. We last went in January and the temp was 26-30 degrees and sunny every day bar two over 16 days. Loads to do as pps have said.

Pandatone Sun 31-Jul-16 10:40:35

Thanks everyone, great to hear such positive experiences of Cape Town. Sounds like there's plenty to do. I'll look into that suburb as a possible place to base ourselves. We'd be looking for something along those lines - out of the city (just) but with its own little buzz and maybe a beach - a bit like Manly is to Sydney.

Ooh Cyprus, that could be a good shout too. Warm rather than hot is ok with me, just don't want too cold or wet. Like the idea of renting a car for the duration to make life easy with 2 little 'uns.

I think you're right, we have to be realistic as to what we can achieve. Our DS2 has just started crawling so could well be walking by Christmas - it's going to be a massive faff going anywhere with him! In my mind Id like to go somewhere where we can make short day trips but also spend time just in a local neighbourhood, pottering on the beach, that sort of thing. No resorts. An interesting, friendly town or city.

Ahh we did California a few years ago pre kids. I would seriously love to go again. Maybe in a few years when the boys are old enough to really enjoy it. Loved Yosemite, the camping out there is awesome.

Thanks all. And food for thought on the flights too. Those who've taken small kids, did they actually sleep on an overnight flight? I dread them being awake the whole time...

MrsSparkles Sun 31-Jul-16 13:07:49

We've flown long haul at least once a year with DD1 (since she was 6 months), and she has always slept. First time flying with 2 this year so fingers crossed!

HiDBandSIL Mon 01-Aug-16 09:14:14

We've just done long haul with a baby and toddler for the first time and found dealing with the jet lag so bad we've sworn off long haul for a while. It was about 10 days each way for them to adjust and those 10 days involved the most sickening sleep deprivation for us. The flights on the other hand were much better than expected. On the return they both slept all the way.

Pandatone Thu 11-Aug-16 20:26:19

Sorry for delay in replying. HiD that sounds really really tough. Duly noted! Guess it's not just the flight.

We've been discussing ideas and think we'll almost certainly stick to Europe now. Save the long haul til another time, when they're a bit older. Thanks for everyone's tips.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now