Talk

Advanced search

Zika - is there any risk to my young daughters who may one day TTC?

(7 Posts)
NotPennysBoat Mon 25-Jul-16 21:18:57

I've done a lot of reading on Zika, in preparation for a family trip to Mexico.

Our family is complete and so I'm not concerned about any risk to myself, but I have two young daughters (7 & 4) and I can't find any definitive information to tell me whether there's any possibility that their future (hopefully loooong time off!) hypothetical pregnancies could be affected.

Can anyone reassure me?

NotPennysBoat Thu 28-Jul-16 17:19:44

Hopeful bump...?

specialsubject Thu 28-Jul-16 17:41:25

What I've read is that zika has been endemic for years , most kids catch it as children and are then immune, and of course most pregnancies do not then result in microcephaly. The problem is that it is spreading to new areas, so adults are not immune and catch it in pregnancy.

Don't forget 24/7 d e e t because there are other nasties about.

mummymeister Fri 29-Jul-16 11:14:27

At their ages I would be more worried to make sure that they had had all the required immunisations and that you would be using deet to avoid Chik and Dengue rather than Zika.

Pineapplechunkster Fri 29-Jul-16 11:18:16

It only stays in your body for 3 months so im quite sure in 15 or so years they will be fine. My daughter caught Chick-v in Jamaica and was fine after 5 days.

PacificDogwod Fri 29-Jul-16 11:21:03

No.

It can affect the unborn child of an affected pregnant mother so unless your dd is pregnant NOW, no .

dizzyfucker Fri 29-Jul-16 11:34:02

I've heard that once you catch it you're immune. I agree with being more worried about dengue and chikungunya, also yellow fever. Not that they can affect fertility but they can be very nasty if you catch them.
We live in a dengue/chikungunya/zika area. Dengue is my main concern.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now