Talk

Advanced search

Edin-NY for special birthday

(7 Posts)
Mum4Fergus Mon 25-Jul-16 13:39:44

Don't know where to start confused

Any/all recommendations for operators (would like transfers end all to be included), flights, hotels, things to do ...

Vdara27024 Mon 25-Jul-16 23:01:52

Mum4Fergus,
Are you booked on United/Continental from Edinburgh direct to Newark? It's had great flight times, you'll be in New York for early afternoon them flight home late evening so you gain an extra day there and can sleep on overnight home!
Depending on how many are travelling with you - when I went with my husband we just caught a yellow cab into city and when I went with girls we hired a private car to pick 4 of us up.

Mum4Fergus Tue 26-Jul-16 08:41:00

Nothing booked at all confused is Newark best airport transfer wise then! I'll start there lol x

Vdara27024 Sun 31-Jul-16 22:18:20

M4F
We have been to NY twice, once where booked flights & hotel separately and 2nd time as a package. The package worked out considerably cheaper as basically had same United flights (9am from Edinburgh) & I already knew which hotel wanted to stay at. I have found since Continental and United airlines have merged their flight prices have literally doubled.
We going to States during October holidays and hoping that $ rates has went up a bit by then. When were you thinking of going? I think 2nd time around phoned around some intent holiday companies (Destinology and Travelbag Spring to mind), told them rough dates and what area & minimum hotel standard I wanted & most importantly didn't want to travel via London (direct is SO much better, especially on journey home!). We stayed at The London, also The Library hotel, not really nice.

Vdara27024 Sun 31-Jul-16 22:19:21

Internet...not intent!

Vdara27024 Sun 31-Jul-16 22:20:49

Typo queen tonight...hotels should read BOTH really nice and not NOT really nice, think it's time for bed!

Perihelion Mon 01-Aug-16 23:33:07

Going with United in October. Thought about flying via Dublin etc, but as taking DD thought that direct would be easier, although more expensive.

DH had heard that the best prices were had by booking 56 days in advance, so had been getting alerts from Kyack flight website. Jumped the gun a we bit and booked flights last week, only for the price to drop almost £400 for the 3 of us. Phoned United and they gave us the cheaper price ( minus rebooking fee ) so got back around £280. It's working out at about £400 each.

Remember to do your ESTA online visa for the US.

We're staying with family in New Jersey and going to stay in NY for a few days. Haven't decided on hotel yet.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now