Talk

Advanced search

Cape Town - DH and DCs

(7 Posts)
worstofbothworlds Mon 18-Jul-16 12:42:30

I've just been asked to travel to Cape Town for work twice over the next year. Sounds lovely! One of the trips may be over next Feb half term.

I've suggested to DH that he and the DCs come too, he's a bit doubtful about what he and they would do, how they'd get around, would it be worth going all that way for a week (I might be able to tack a holiday on but they'd still have a week on their own).

Please share tips/encouragement/propaganda!

Lonecatwithkitten Tue 19-Jul-16 13:11:58

Driving dead easy - they drive on the left. They could visit the Penguins on the beach at Simon's town. I took DD when she was 15 months old it was one of our best holidays.

mouldycheesefan Tue 19-Jul-16 13:16:55

They would have q great time there is tonnes to do. In Cape Town you have the waterfront, boat trips, aquarium, beaches, table mountain, botanical gardens etc. Day trips you can drive yourself to boulders beach to see the Penguins, cape of good hope etc.
Great holiday for kids.
But flights are not cheap with accommodation and food and trips unless work are paying for any of it I would imagine you would be looking at
£3-4K absolute minimum for one week, obviously more if you stay longer. Do you want to spend that on a holiday for the three of them that you can't participate in because you are working?

worstofbothworlds Tue 19-Jul-16 16:14:43

DH kind of agrees re holiday I won't be participating in (work would only pay my flight). I also have a short conference in a nice bit of the the US later in the year - one of those 3 or even really 2 1/2 day jobs. We could all go for 2 weeks we reckon then instead, so they wouldn't be as long without me.

Ah well, maybe another time. I'll have to get my hosts to take me out for nice food instead.

mouldycheesefan Tue 19-Jul-16 17:08:28

It would be better for you to take holiday joined on to the trip and they fly out and join you then so the whole family is having a holiday, rather than they have a quite expensive holiday whilst you are at work, I really can't see the value in that.

worstofbothworlds Tue 19-Jul-16 19:10:53

That would be ideal but the DC will be 5 and 2 and DH doesn't fancy a solo transcontinental flight with them and I don't blame him!

mouldycheesefan Tue 19-Jul-16 20:39:03

I wouldn't do it then it's an expensive way of them entertaining themselves whilst you are away working. I have been to cape town on business and didn't take family for exactly that reason but had a couple days on my own relaxing, whe had been before in Holiday though. If it would eat into your Ho,I day budget for the year then I wouldn't waste it in this. Not because it's cape town but because you will be working.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now