Talk

Advanced search

Somewhere warm in January

(14 Posts)
Playduh Sun 17-Jul-16 20:47:13

DH, DS (will be 3 1/2 at Xmas) and I want two weeks sunshine somewhere long haul.

DS is pretty good with flying and has all his jabs - we went to Indonesia last year and he loved it.

We're vaguely thinking, as we don't intend to have any more kids and we don't really get bitten by mosquitos (still use all the preventatives obviously) we might go somewhere that has had Zika, just because we think it would be good to help support struggling tourist dependent communities.

It's not the be all and end all obviously.

We like a bit of culture, a bit of nature, good food. Budget around 10k all in.

We don't do big resorts, we hated Varadero in Cuba.

Any ideas?

NotWithoutMyMerkin Sun 17-Jul-16 20:51:37

Thailand, Sri Lanka, Vietnam?

Playduh Sun 17-Jul-16 20:55:15

Fancy Sri Lanka but worried about how long it takes to get fed there. When we went as a couple we were happy to wait an hour or two for food, but concerned DS will struggle. Do you have any experience?

BigGreenOlives Sun 17-Jul-16 21:04:37

Mauritius- 12 hour flight but 4 hours ahead so they wake up late

Stopyourhavering Sun 17-Jul-16 21:06:51

Thailand ((Koh Samui)...or Antigua (direct flight from Gatwick).... Great beaches and culture

MyFriendsCallMeOh Sun 17-Jul-16 21:07:35

We have done Jamaica and Cape Town on January when dd1 was 2-3, both excellent.

Playduh Sun 17-Jul-16 21:11:17

Ooh, would you mind telling me a bit more about Antigua and also Capetown?

NotWithoutMyMerkin Sun 17-Jul-16 21:11:53

I've no experience of Sri Lanka I'm afraid, but would be surprised if, with a child, they can't/won't be very helpful with speed of food

I would be reluctant to travel west, purely for time zones and the impact on children

If I was considering Thai islands koh Samui wouldn't be my personal first choice

Playduh Sun 17-Jul-16 21:11:56

And Mauritius, fancy that smile

MyFriendsCallMeOh Sun 17-Jul-16 21:26:57

Cape Town is great, amazing food, table mountain, beaches with penguins, wine tasting (we took dd!), stunning scenery, botanical gardens, Victoria and Albert quay to wander round (with elephant seals). No jet lag, direct flight, great weather in Jan / feb.

Stopyourhavering Sun 17-Jul-16 21:34:16

We flew Virgin Atlantic ( premium economy)...gets in before the British Airways flight, so you get through airport quicker!
We stayed at Grand Pineapple Hotel....beach is amazing with -white powdery sand,beautiful turquoise sea....we went with 3 teenagers who had a ball, snorkelling, water sports, beach volleyball
Food was plentiful- not gourmet but plenty of variety and fresh fish and some traditional dishes very lunch and evening
Stay in beachfront or waterfront rooms.....youre only footsteps from the beach
.not a huge resort a bit 'dated' but the location and staff more than made up for that!....very laid back and sooo relaxing....not glitzy and plastic .
Island is very easy to get around- not much traffic! Loads of amazing beaches
Plenty of lizards and birds and the frogs at night were deafening!!.... There are turtles as well....beautiful flora as well!.....
Hope this helps.....id go back in a heartbeat !

mummymeister Mon 18-Jul-16 10:33:16

Belize? really fabulous place and great weather over Christmas. message me if you want more details.

murphys Mon 18-Jul-16 10:40:00

Was just going to suggest SA, and I see Cape Town has already been mentioned. Even though the pound has dropped, you will have an amazing holiday here with 10k.

Weather is great in Jan/Feb, but if its before mid Jan, it is classed as peak period so more expensive. Our schools go back on 11 January next year after summer break, so after that date will be much less busy and cheaper.

ShanghaiDiva Fri 22-Jul-16 13:35:10

Thailand - Chiang Mai is lovely and you could combine this with a beach holiday
Vietnam
Laos
Cambodia
Burma - if you are feeling more adventurous
Malaysia - Penang? - Borneo - but not sure whether it is dry in January - have only been in July.
All of the above have fabulous food.
I have been to Sri Lanka (albeit 18 years ago, but don't remember the food being particularly slow in coming)
Be aware that the Tet holiday in Vietnam starts next year at the end of January and prices will go up and domestic flights will be packed.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now