Talk

Advanced search

Sun protection for toddlers!

(15 Posts)
fluffymummy Wed 24-Jan-07 19:31:47

This has sort of been covered before (just been checking some old threads) but I'm off to Thailand next week for a month with ds (18months)and I was hoping someone might have some good suggestions for sun tan lotion - brands etc as we've not taken him to anywhere hot before. He's blonde with really pale skin so I'm quite worried about the whole burning thing.... All suggestions hugely appreciated (and I've already bought a couple of UV bodysuits for him!). Thanks, Fluffymummy x

2boysmacca Wed 24-Jan-07 21:00:43

P20. You slap it on in the morning, and stay indoors for an hour or so and then you are protected all day. My ds is very blonde and very white and this was great for him (and me)

fluffymummy Fri 26-Jan-07 13:13:44

Thanks I saw something somewhere about P20 not protecting against UVA as well as UVB (or was it the other way around?) Is that true?

2boysmacca Fri 26-Jan-07 14:54:52

Yes, but to be honest he's not going to be out in the sun for hours anyway is he? You still need to be sensible and protect them by covering them up etc.

eidsvold Tue 30-Jan-07 05:42:17

when we were in Singapore and here in Aus with the dds - take them out in the morning and late afternoon - use the midday heat for lunch, rest and indoor activities.

dds have uv bodysuit swimsuits and hats - can get swim hats made of the same material, we use 30+ sunscreen.

Furball Tue 30-Jan-07 07:11:48

please don't use P20 it has no protection at all against UVA which is the rays that can cause skin cancer. There are a few more products on the market these days. Ultrasun which you can wither buy direct or at Waitrose. Piz Buin do one that is available in BOots and also Boots do their own make that lasts for 6 hours. Those 3 have both UVA and UVB protection.

fluffymummy Tue 30-Jan-07 14:09:03

Thanks everyone - I really appreciate the feedback! I've gone for the Boots kids factor 50 in the end but will be combining it with some all-in-one bodysuit things and UV tent which (hopefully!) ds will want to sit in occasionally... Off on Sunday, so now I'm going to read everyone's suggestions for controlling manic toddlers on long haul flights....answers on a postcard please! FM xx

kb101 Tue 06-Mar-07 08:45:30

i'd be tempted to do a patch test before going as mine was allergic to both boots and simple suncream! if any reaction then the green baby room has fab products http://www.greenbaby.co.uk/pl_HOLIDAY.htm

kb101 Tue 06-Mar-07 08:50:18

i'm looking for some kind of light and cool cover-up (clothing) for my toddler for a sunny holiday to keep sun off while walking from pool to hotel etc. does anyone have any ideas?

LunarSea Tue 06-Mar-07 09:43:07

If anyone needs them - I've got new UV sunsuits to fit 9-12 months for sale here . Going to be the wrong season for new baby due in the next couple of weeks.

LunarSea Tue 06-Mar-07 09:45:13

kb101 - look for products which are labelled "PABA free". Apparently it's a common ingredient in a lot of suncreams, and a very common allergen. The "Banana Boat" range are good - if you can find them!

kb101 Tue 06-Mar-07 10:03:57

thanks for that - v helpful. shame mine won't be right size for sunsuits u r selling as would have loved them.

eidsvold Tue 06-Mar-07 22:16:22

second banana boat - what we use with the dds. no reactions there and dd2 does react to certain creams.

wide bream hats - can get them in UV sunsuit fabric as well so they can wear them when swimming - as my dds do.

Hulababy Tue 06-Mar-07 22:18:26

We have used Ultrasun (once a day cream) with DD (and me) when in Florida. On very sticky, humid days I did top up half way through the day as well though/

madrose Tue 06-Mar-07 22:29:03

We used niva (kids) factor 40 in eygpt two weeks aga, but DD has a reaction to it, so swapped to banana boat.

Also banana boat after sun aloe vera - absolutely fanastic. have used it for years, especially on burnt bits (mine not DD am paranoid about sun and dd)- but it really moistures and soothes.

HTH

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »