Talk

Advanced search

New York accompdation

(10 Posts)
dingalong Mon 11-Jul-16 10:12:27

Dh and I are off to New York for 5 days (without kids) as its our 10 year wedding anniversary

I've decided to stay in an apartment this time (- we've always stayed in hotels around midtown) so are hoping for a different experience

Any suggestions on brilliant areas to
Stay. We're heading the first week in December.

I'd like a nice neighbourhood but am conscious we're not going to pass muster as hipsters smile but we'd like something cool.

Can any wise mumsnetters recommend any nice areas (I think Manhattan and Brooklyn for ease of travelling)

AttilaTheMeerkat Mon 11-Jul-16 11:37:02

Would suggest you find a hotel to stay in Manhattan.

Am so sorry to put a dampner on things but you need to be aware of the laws re apartment rentals in NYC (which also includes their five boroughs).

These are not like in other countries and short term lets of less than 30 days are infact illegal.

Typical apartments in Manhattan are small, do not have much closet space and usually have very small bathrooms. That "open plan kitchen" in a "loft space" could mean that it's just a 450-square-foot (42 square-meter) one-room studio with a kitchen against the wall.

Aside from local laws, many large apartment buildings in NYC are condominiums or co-operatives (co-ops), and they are governed by rules about what their residents can and can not do. Most likely, their rules prohibit renting apartments to tourists on a weekly or daily basis. If the neighbours are fed up with a resident who has tourists coming in and out on a weekly basis, and if they don't want strangers to have copies of keys to the building, they will check with the super or management company to find out what's going on.

Internet sites do not ever check the veracity of apartment listings and some apartment rentals are not what they seem or appear to be. Many NYC apartments are old and small. People have been and do get scammed by such listings Please avoid all such listings and stick to finding a nice hotel instead. There are plenty of decent ones in NYC.

mummymeister Mon 11-Jul-16 11:49:19

completely agree with Attila. new York is not the place for apartments.

dingalong Mon 11-Jul-16 12:00:12

Any recommendations then for areas and hotels ?

mumto2andnomore Tue 12-Jul-16 19:18:31

You could consider jersey city, we stayed in a lovely apartment last year right next to the path station so it was only 10 mins to NYC but we had lots of room, great views and it was a nice area with restaurants etc

dingalong Tue 12-Jul-16 21:59:03

Thanks - as I've done the main tourist things, I'm looking for nice neighbourhood bars with craft beers (rather than cocktails) and nice food, but want to get to Guggenheim, moma and Central Park, skating - (best location ) so easy access to them is essential.
Last time we chilled out in some nice bars (upper east side - lovely people - and had a fun night in Elaine's another night)
Seinfeld is my favourite comedy so will want to visit diner (missed it on last trip) I've stayed in midtown so found we had to walk to find a nice breakfast place. I love bagels so had to head to place near St. John's cathedral to find some.
We'll want to do a show or two - and sad we missed Jon Stewart's daily show taping).
I haven't been to trade centre memorial so would like to head down there too.
So bearing in mind the type of trip I'm planning - any tips on where would suit my plans best.

bojorojo Wed 13-Jul-16 00:08:33

Soho. We really liked it there. Much more village feel to it, smaller streets, a neighbourhood feel and great restaurants. Not so good for Central Park but the subway is available! We had stayed in midtown before but would stay further down in future. We stayed at the Soho Grand which was perfectly pleasant and friendly. The twin towers site (didn't like it) is not too far away and nor is Brooklyn Bridge or the High Line.

DD did an internship in NY and had the tiniest apartment at vast expense. There is probably a Citidenes apartment hotel somewhere in NY. (Check my spelling!).

ChipsandGuac Wed 13-Jul-16 00:17:33

I know several people who have used AirBnB in NYC with no problems at all. However, I know the city is having a huge crackdown on its use so you need to have a back up plan if it all falls through.

I personally would stay in either Greenwich village or the Upper West Side, solely because that's where I would choose to live if I didn't have to live in the suburbs!

mysteryfairy Sun 17-Jul-16 19:29:59

We stay with family in the Carroll Gardens area of Brooklyn. Love the area, very simple and quick to take the subway to Manhattan, fab for shopping and eating out or every imaginable takeout. There are many Airbnb rentals, mostly self contained apartments within people's townhouses or brownstones, which I believe are not illegal to rent out.

dingalong Thu 21-Jul-16 13:31:57

Thanks - I've been looking at areas. I'm looking at Williamsburg or east village at the moment. I'm open to an apartment or hotel (once not too expensive) and as we won't be doing lots of shopping we'd like to just chill out together

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now