Talk

Advanced search

New York tips please!

(15 Posts)
EdithBouvierBeale Sun 03-Jul-16 20:40:52

I have a long weekend in NY coming up in October. Please give me some recommendations for the best touristy things to do. I've been twice with my grumpy ex DH who just wanted to go for dinner and get drunk. A show on Broadway is a must. What else is worth doing?

browneyedgirl23 Tue 05-Jul-16 15:37:49

I've been to NY twice and both times did different things. (Went for. 7 & 10 days)
Empire State is a must as is Statue of Liberty (plus you could spend half a day that side of NY and do the world trade centre & the museum). I also loved just walking around Times Square and if you have time china town and Greenwich village.
If you have an iPhone there is a NY app which is free and you can see all the tourist things to do and where they are located (sorry I can't remember it's name) that's really handy.
Hope you have an amazing time!

NeckguardUnbespoke Tue 05-Jul-16 15:39:50

The Grand Central Oyster Bar (there is plenty of not-Oyster food)

The High Line is a great way to spend an hour walking above/behind/diagonally to the rest of the city.

budgiegirl Sat 09-Jul-16 11:45:41

Top of the Rock is great, better than ESB IMO, as you get great views of the ESB and also over Central Park.

Cycling in Central Park. Katz's Deli on the Lower East Side. Zabars on the Upper West. Staten Island Ferry. Public Library (including the Winnie the Pooh toys). Wandering round Greenwich. Brunch in Soho. The NY Fire museum is tiny and lovely (and I got to dress up as a firefighter!). Theodore Roosevelt birthplace. Roosevelt Island tramway. Flatiron building. Tons of museums and art galleries. M&M shop on Times Square!

So much worth doing, it depends really what you things you are into.

thejoysofboys Sat 09-Jul-16 11:51:02

I'd second the High Line - one of the best parts of our trip. Book on line on advance for the Statue of Liberty - they only have about 300 tickets a day to go up to the top of the crown so you need to check regularly for when they get released.
Eat at Sylvia's for proper Southern Style food, the Spotted pig & the magnolia bakery.
If you go to customer services in Macy's with your passport they give you a ticket for 10% off whatever you buy 😀.

lizandlulu Sat 09-Jul-16 12:03:14

the tenement museum is excelelnt, really really worth doing, i only booked one inside tour but really wish i had spent more time there and done other indoor and also walking tours, plus you can fit in clinton street bakery for food!

EdithBouvierBeale Sun 10-Jul-16 22:20:04

Thank you. Some great recommendations!

19lottie82 Sun 17-Jul-16 20:31:23

Get a ticket for the hop on hop off tour bus, it's a fab way to get around and see the sights!

BennyTheBall Sun 17-Jul-16 20:35:50

Go to Ellen's Stardust Diner on Broadway. Complete tourist trap but such good fun.

Wait4nothing Sun 17-Jul-16 21:37:55

We took the underground over to Brooklyn at night just to see the city lights across the river - was breathtaking!
Also enjoyed top of the rock (could see Statue of Liberty and empire on one side and the whole of Central Park the other - very impressive!)
My dh booked the intrepid museam with the Concorde experience - isn't my thing but actually enjoyed it.
We watched les mis - incredible.
We went up to the crown of Statue of Liberty - that was fun (needs booking in advance) - but prob wouldn't recommend pregnant! I was 25 weeks and only had a tiny bump but it would have been hard any bigger!
We ate in Chinatown (just looked on trip advisor) and it was such an experience!

karmapolice97 Sun 17-Jul-16 21:41:38

Another vote for Top of the Rock. So much better than Empire State, as you can see the Empire State. There's so much less queuing, way more space and views up top. It was the absolute highlight of our trip.

CaveMum Sun 17-Jul-16 21:48:44

Get a New York Pass to save money and time.

Top of the Rock is a must and as others say you can see the ESB from it.

Visit the 9/11 Memorial, but take plenty of tissues - I found it very emotional.

Walk across the Brooklyn Bridge and eat pizza at Juliana's

Eat lunch at Carnegie's Deli - the portions are huge though!

honeyroar Tue 19-Jul-16 00:56:32

I agree about the hop on hop off bus. The Rock or the Empire. Better than Liberty is a helicopter ride over New York that circles the statue anyway. I've always used Liberty Helicopters. They sell tickets outside the Empire State Building.

Have a look in Grand Central station and the New York Library, they are gorgeous buildings (find the echo/whispering underpass). I've never done it, but the Highline is meant to be great. Wandering around Central Park is nice in summer. I was there last week and it is seriously hot.

SparkleSoiree Tue 19-Jul-16 01:08:27

Following as we are going to NYC for christmas this year and have been thinking the same thing myself OP!

KitKat1985 Sat 23-Jul-16 13:47:55

Top of the Rock is far better for views IMHO than the Empire State building, and no-where near as crowded.

If you want to do a lot of attractions get a New York Pass as it works out much cheaper.

The statue of Liberty and Liberty island are well worth doing.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now