Talk

Advanced search

New York to Washington DC

(11 Posts)
Pissant Mon 20-Jun-16 20:04:30

Best Bus or Greyhound ?

Has anyone used either of these bus companies ?

DH and DSS are going to NYC, then on to DC. The train is too pricey now - so have been looking at buses.

I found that the Greyhound bus journey is $18, Best Bus is $30 - same journey time, same time of day.

I wondered if there was much difference in them comfort/quality of travel wise ?

If not they can go for the cheapest grin

Hassled Mon 20-Jun-16 20:05:44

Out of interest, how pricey are we talking with the train? As you can tell, I have no advice but am pondering the same journey.

Pissant Mon 20-Jun-16 20:07:47

it was about $240 for the two of them.

The train takes 3.5 hours, bus 4.5 - so not that much longer.

iwantanewcar Mon 20-Jun-16 20:12:23

there might be some interesting travelling companions but 4 1/2 hrs nothing.

AttilaTheMeerkat Mon 20-Jun-16 20:15:29

Cheap is not always cheerful and this is something they should not really economise on. I'd advise them to pay the $240 particularly if that is for the Acela train service.

Hassled Mon 20-Jun-16 20:19:07

$240 for 2 is way more than I thought you would say. But then 3.5 hours is longer than I thought too. I need to up my research.

Pissant Mon 20-Jun-16 20:22:34

Well the prices were cheaper if booked well in advance (as they are in the UK of course) but he has left it too late. They travel on Thursday this week.

Attila it's just a regular Amtrak service - it takes 3.5 hours. I don't know what Acela is - is that a faster journey ?

We've decided on Best Bus anyway - they are spending quite enough this trip as it is - so can just sit and enjoy the ride. It can't be worse than Mega Bus in the UK, surely ?

Will update in a couple of weeks grin

Hulababy Mon 20-Jun-16 20:33:47

We did Washington to NYC and found it much cheaper to rent a car than use the train. The journey was very straight forward. DH says driving round NYC is pretty easy due to the grid one-way system, and Washington was fine too.

AttilaTheMeerkat Mon 20-Jun-16 20:36:23

The Acela is the express Amtrak service, there are slower trains between NYC and DC.

I hope they get on ok with the BestBus (I have also read recent positive reviews).

Pissant Mon 20-Jun-16 20:40:18

Thanks for all the replies.

It's all a learning experience. I think they'll be fine.

I'll find out after their trip smile

iwantanewcar Thu 07-Jul-16 11:31:42

Any update on the trip!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now